Author Topic: Musicbee deletes Folder.jpg files  (Read 15529 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not usually the diplomatic type, but that's probably not the best comment I've seen if you're expecting any help!
Exactly! If you want help, don't be so demanding.

In addition, where are you getting your "1200 people" experiencing this problem? The OP posted back in February and not a single person stepped forward saying they had the same issue. For the record, I've been using MB since 2009 and never saw the behavior you described.

Steven stated in this thread that he can't reproduce the behavior. If he can't see it, he can't fix it.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MTOakey

• Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
I have asked, and posted, about this issue for over a YEAR now, in several different areas here.... yours was the first response I have ever received.

MTOakey

Do you really think people that are NOT experiencing the problem - ARE reading about the problem ???
1200 VIEWS of the problem... those are unique, not repeat views.

frankz

I am not experiencing the problem.

I have read about the problem.

MTOakey

phred

• Global Moderator
1200 views does not translate to 1200 users experiencing the problem. It simply means the thread was looked at 1200 times. I read many (if not all) threads. Does that translate into my having every issue posted? Of course not. As frankz indicates, just because he's read about the problem, doesn't mean he's experiencing it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Also, many of those "views" are probably search bots.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

MTOakey

Search "bots" do not translate to "views".
And by phred's logic, there must only be myself and maybe 1 or 2 others that are experiencing this type of issue, and 1000 times that many that are just lurkers.
Yet when one does several searches regarding "folder.jpeg" or "folder.jpg" or "album art" or several other terms that are pertinent, you will find dozens and dozens of unique original posters, with over 7000 views total, describing the same type issue =
MB replacing the chosen folders preferred "folder.jpg art" with that of a newly edited .mp3's "art" , and in my case I noticed it chooses an alphanumerically superiorly named file of whose art to use... when deleting THAT .mp3's art, only then does the folder revert back to the "correct" folder.jpg, until I open the App again and it starts all over, if I delete the offending .mp3, MB then moves onto the next in line... in every one of my folders (only 12 thank GOD). My Header menu can be set to either Folder or Grouping {which for me are the same} THIS is where I am viewing the wrong "Folder Art"

Now, I have read the only TWO suggestions offered in all the posts and comments {"Edit/Prefs?Tag(1)-Artwork Storage" My only checkbox is in "Embed",,, and my order only includes "Folder.jpg" and "Embeded" - and it makes no difference which is first.

I also use a server named "Subsonic" to listen to my library when not at home... (it does not use or affect MB, and I do not use a remote for MB) on my Android phone or any other platform I have tried - and it CORRECTLY identifies the 12 folders art regardless of how many mp3 are added or edited or when or by what means. Most all my mp3's have "embeded" art to show when they are playing, if they don't, then and only then do they CORRECTLY utilize the "folder.jpg" for art. The way it should be. The way it is expected.

Bottom line is: If there is a "Folder.jpg" in a folder - and there should only be 1 - that should be that Folders' Art - PERIOD.

And that is all I am asking for help to figure out, either a setting somewhere {I doubt} or fix the glitch.

My MB version: 3.1.6466
HP Envy:AMDfx8800p:WinX1703
Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:50:16 PM by MTOakey

MTOakey

Soo, almost 2 years and NO other responses to my query.
Maybe my original "subject line" doesn't correctly represent what is happening... MB does't "delete" the directory's "folder.jpg" it just shows an incorrect one based on whatever newly added/edited .mp3 is in the directory, alphabetically the first, usually a number, as in "38 Special - Stone Cold Believer.mp3"
New Computer, Win10-1703 build, newest MB Version 3.2.6902, and the same shit is still going on. I've linked to a MB screengrab to show the problem for the uninitiated. http://www.i-zoe.com/MBscreengrab.jpg
and a Directory screengrab for the same reason ... http://www.i-zoe.com/OSscreengrab.jpg
If I EDIT that .mp3 and remove the embedded ART then MB will show the correct "folder.jpg" for the directory, as all the other directories can be seen. And it doesn't matter what manner of editor I use to TAG, MB, TagScanner, Brainz, or even just get Properties in Windows and edit tag info there, same results in MB.

And the MBremote on Android does NOT show the embedded ART for every individual song as they are played - ONLY the containing Directory's "folder.jpg" - so, same freaking issue still apparent there too.

redwing

My Header menu can be set to either Folder or Grouping {which for me are the same} THIS is where I am viewing the wrong "Folder Art"

If I understand correctly, you're referring to the artwork for thumbnail browser, not album artwork, correct?

I'd suggest you use Grouping instead of Folder since there is a support for grouping icon.

For the next v3.2 update i have added support for loading icons for: Grouping; Genre and Genre Category in the music explorer filter panel and header. The images should be square and at least 125px in size, but will be cropped to a circle in the header bar

As part of doing this, the custom Artwork location now defaults to:
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Artist Pictures
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Artist Pictures\Thumb
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Grouping Icons
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Soundtrack Pictures

There was support for genre icons in the thumb browser that used to look in [musicbee installation folder]\icons\Genre.
Those icons have been moved to:
- [root music folder]\MusicBee\Artwork\Grouping Icons

The artist and soundtrack folders are only reorganised if you are using default settings and will be reorganised automatically. You can still override the locations for artist pictures and soundtrack pictures in the Tags(1) preferences

So first change the category of the thumbnail browser to Grouping.
Now you only need to copy each of your grouping picture and then use "Paste Artwork" context menu over the thumbnail for each grouping item in thumbnail browser. Then it will always show the same picture for each grouping item.

phred

• Global Moderator
Soo, almost 2 years and NO other responses to my query.
newest MB Version 3.2.6902, and the same shit is still going on.
Again, you're still coming on a little too strong to gain any respect here. Two years with no response pretty much means what you were told two years ago - the issue you're experiencing isn't being seen by others.

Also, 3.2 isn't the newest version, having been released last November. MB is up to 3.3.7086 and RC1 was just released a day or two ago.

Try it and see if your problem is fixed. And if it isn't don't come back and post with an attitude. That will just result in you being ignored.
Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:16:28 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

captain_paranoia

Of nearly 20,000 .mp3 files separated into only 12 folders, which are also named as the 'Groups/ing' - I only have 12 'Folder.jpg' files which are the generic picture I WANT to use for describing all the contents of that folder/Group {Secular, Oldies, Christmas, Swing, Reggae ... and so on} inside each folder, each song has it's own artwork associated with that song. Whenever I edit a new or old mp3, THE FOLDER THEN TAKES ON THE JPG OF THE NEW MP3 AND DISREGARDS THE 'Folder.jpg' and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I edit the tag artwork with MB or with some other means - even if MB is not open and running.

Let me get this straight: you have 20000 files in just 12 folders, with no album artist/album hierarchy below them? That's unusual.

I note you have MB set to save artwork as folder.jpg, so it will override the existing folder.jpg if you edit the artwork of any one track.

I also note that you say edits completely outside of MB also cause the problem. This suggests very strongly that MB is not the problem, or, at least, it is not the only problem.

In two years, no-one has reported the same problem. This suggests it is something unique to you, your settings, and your use of MB. Your unusual file structure and settings for saving folder.jpg may be the problem.

I notice that in two years, this problem doesn't seem to have caused you to stop using MB and find another media player. Maybe you would find one that works better for you.

Above all, I note a lot of demands being made on the developer of a piece of free software, written by someone in his spare time, and given to you freely.

As for your idea of "views=individuals with the same problem", that's not how a user support forum works; users read threads from people asking questions, and try to answer them, trying to be nice and helpful. It doesn't mean every reader has that problem. If only people with the problem read the thread, you would get no solutions until one of you blundered across the solution. Again, there isn't a huge corporation behind MB, with a team of advisors sitting waiting to provide support; there's just one person, developing in his spare time, plus a large user community who answer most questions in the same sharing spirit.

phred

• Global Moderator
@captain_paranoia-

Well said and nicely done.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

deraudrl

I note you have MB set to save artwork as folder.jpg, so it will override the existing folder.jpg if you edit the artwork of any one track.
Not sure he even needs to do an edit: won't that happen even if he just adds a new track?

MTOakey

Cool, and Thank You, finally some useful responses and suggestions.
I'm 54 years old, Retired/Disabled USARMY Vet and CTO of a Networking Company, and the Owner of a Gunshop. I really don't have time to worry about NOT hurting some snowflakes feelings about a piece of software I have loved and used for years and have OFFERED to PAY to get my problem rectified.
My simple problem is/was {embedded} "album art" related while also being OS directory system related.
It IS a MB issue, somehow, and I have proven that now, after hours of pissing with it, and losing over 2000 of embedded art tags.

Yes, it happened every time I added a new .mp3 file AND edited it to add tags and ART to the file with MB... if I just added the file and didn't edit it, and just played it, all the folders stayed correct  within MB.

As anyone can clearly see in the pic I shared above, I don't have entire albums of each Artist, sometimes only 1 song from an Artist is common and NOT UNUSUAL for most casual users.... so NO, I do not have each Artist in their own folder within the structure of Library...and the App should NOT and really does not care. http://www.i-zoe.com/MBsettings-art.jpg and http://www.i-zoe.com/MBsettings-song.jpg CLEARLY show that I do NOT have my settings configured such as Captain-paranoia misunderstood above.

Now, it is PAINFULLY apparent to me the parameters of the Ownership and Technical Support issues of the Owner, of whom I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL for ALL his efforts and THIS FABULOUS piece of Software, but, even Microsoft {or especially Microsoft}, has minor bugs and hiccups in their flagship software with a grandiose team of Developers and Programmers, and I'm also painfully so, aware of how the "user support" forums seem to work... I understand that there is no "1 for 1" relationship of views to experience of issue, but COME ON, all those views and NO ONE else has the issue? My take on that is that most users would not even notice this as an issue BECAUSE of how they might have their directory structured - as in "seperate folders for each Artist".

All THIS to say, I think I have pinpointed the causation of my frustration.
The "Save" button on the Edit screen.
If I don't click on the "Save" button, it doesn't cause the issue, but still saves the changes including the Artwork. Weird, I know.

Something else I noticed, maybe a feature of only MB, or not, but MB allows/shows more than 1 pic for each song, 3 to my count, and I also know that a feature of ID3v2.3 allows for about 17 pictures detailing various items of worth relating to the Artist or the Production etc.etc...
And by the way, I think ALL the "scroll bars" need to be wider or more contrasted to the rest of the theme... but I digress....

So, I went and selected "All" and edited the artwork to select "nothing" as the associated pic. Went back in and edited 1 file to add back in the Artwork, clicked "Save", and the bitch did it again. So I moved ALL the songs from that directory, to another newly created one on a different drive on a remote server. Then I went and edited a different song with a different software and put it back into the directory for MB... and VIOLA, it stayed correct. So I did the same for about 15 other songs, from all different Artists, moved them back into the MB directory, and they stayed correct. so I put 10 more un-re-edited songs back into MB and it still stayed correct. Then I tried editing 1 song in MB, clicked "Save" and it screwed the pooch again. So I deleted that song, and it went back to correct... weird I thought... So I just tried one more, in deep frustration at 4am, half asleep, and I forgot to click the "Save" button before moving to the next song, and it stayed correct, which I also thought was weird... so I did about 100 more - ALL with out clicking the "Save" button.

Everything is well now. I will NEVER add more than the 1 pic embedded in a song. So now I have the correct "Album" art AND the correct "Song" art, for my purposes anyway. I have created a script to automatically select the "Next" button in the player every 6 seconds so it will add the Lyrics to all the songs by it self now. 10 songs a minute is not that bad. 60 songs an hour. 1440 songs in 24 hours. It'll be done by the weekend.

So, WTFFFS is up with that "Save" function ??

For the LOVE of GOD and ALL that is HOLY, please tell me, or just get it fixed... I'll pay, honestly !!!