Author Topic: Musicbee deletes Folder.jpg files  (Read 15522 times)

sleepless

Why is MB deleting the folder.jpg from my music folders everytime I change info using the tag editor. This happens if I change any tags for the entire album (artist, genre etc...). I haven't even changed anything using the artwork editor. Now I'm missing countless files. Why is this happening?

*edit: no longer missing - I found them all in the recycle bin. Still would like to know why MB is doing this.
Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:34:33 PM by sleepless

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What are your artwork settings in tags (1) preferences?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sleepless

I have tried removing the folder entries in the preferences.

Still same problem. Also, this doesn't happen to every album and I cant figure out why it does for some and not others. Can anyone think of why MB would be removing these files from my drive?

sleepless

I'm confused by MB behavior when adding files to the library. In this example, I added 5 files from 1 album to the library. Each file has the same embedded album cover, There is also a folder.jpg in the album folder, which I have not selected/added to the library. It is a different picture.

Now in MB you can see that the folder.jpg has been automatically added. Why is this happening? Could this be related to the deleting behavior?

Now if I make a change to the tags (in this case the genre) for those 5 files, the folder.jpg is deleted.

sleepless

Current settings (only display embedded artwork):

This shows the embedded art for these 4 files:

There is also a folder.jpg in the folder which is different from the embedded art:

After importing the 4 tracks to MB, only the folder.jpg is shown, the embedd art is not displayed at all. This is the opposite behavior from the settings:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there anything in your error log that might be related?

I'm wondering if there's some kind of conflict with Windows.  folder.jpg is the file WMP uses.  Does this happen if you switch to a different file name, like cover.jpg?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

sleepless

You mean windows error/event log? i didn't find anything in there. Cover.jpg stays in the folder no problem. So does folder.png. Only the folder.jpg gets deleted, and only if changes are made to the entire album.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You mean windows error/event log? i didn't find anything in there. Cover.jpg stays in the folder no problem. So does folder.png. Only the folder.jpg gets deleted, and only if changes are made to the entire album.

No, I mean the MusicBee error log (Help > Support > View Error Log).  I strongly suspect this is a Windows issue, not a MusicBee issue.  Check out this post, for instance: https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2012/02/01/removing-windows-folder-jpg-system/
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
the only case MB would delete a folder.jpg file is if before you start editing the folder.jpg file is referenced in the tag editor artwork panel (you can see using the "Save To..." button), and at the point you save, the picture no longer references folder.jpg.
In that case as long as no other music files in the library reference the same folder.jpf file then MB would prompt for the file to be deleted

sleepless

No errors in the log. I really dont think this is a windows issue. There is no prompt, file just gets deleted. What about the other behavior I posted about (wrong pictures being imported)? why does MB display 2 pictures in the tag editor after importing the files?

sleepless

So it appears that the bottom artwork refers to the folder.jpg. WHY IS IT BEING DISPLAYED HERE IF I ONLY HAVE EMBEDDED ART SELECTED IN THE PREFERENCES?

If I check the bottom box, MB auto checks both top/bottoms boxes. With the boxes checked, MB no longer deletes the files. So I'm guessing there is a problem with how MB is importing the artwork to begin with.
So the only way I can prevent the deleting is to check the boxes every time I want to make a change? That makes no sense.

Why is the folder.jpg displayed in the editor?
Why are the boxes unchecked?
Why do I get no prompt for the deletion of the file?

Steven

• Administrator
i cant reproduce any of the behaviour you describe using v3.1. Importing a music track doesnt import the folder.jpg file if folder.jpg is not configured in the Tags(1)/artwork storage/ "set which pictures are displayed" panel.
And when editing tags, looking at all the code I see that if you have auto-organise enabled, edit a tag that causes the organised file folder to change eg. change the album name, then MB will copy the folder.jpg file to the new folder and delete the old one to the recycle bin without prompt. But thats exactly as intended and the new folder has the copied folder.jpg file.

The only thing ticking the "artwork:" checkbox does is force MB to reset the pictures to those displayed in the tag editor when each file is saved. If thats not done, then MB should not touch the pictures for each file.

I dont think i will spend any more time on this

MTOakey

• Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
i cant reproduce any of the behaviour you describe using v3.1. ....... I dont think i will spend any more time on this

Well THAT really builds confidence.
I have complained about this type of issue for over a YEAR now, it has NOT been addressed nor corrected. My portion of the issue does not deal with the deletion of the 'Folder.jpg' - just the complete disregard of it. Of nearly 20,000 .mp3 files separated into only 12 folders, which are also named as the 'Groups/ing' - I only have 12 'Folder.jpg' files which are the generic picture I WANT to use for describing all the contents of that folder/Group {Secular, Oldies, Christmas, Swing, Reggae ... and so on} inside each folder, each song has it's own artwork associated with that song. Whenever I edit a new or old mp3, THE FOLDER THEN TAKES ON THE JPG OF THE NEW MP3 AND DISREGARDS THE 'Folder.jpg' and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I edit the tag artwork with MB or with some other means - even if MB is not open and running.
You really NEED {should} to address this issue as apparently nearly 1200 people are experiencing it is some fashion.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
You really NEED {should} to address this issue as apparently nearly 1200 people are experiencing it is some fashion.

I'm not usually the diplomatic type, but that's probably not the best comment I've seen if you're expecting any help!

Just saying!  ;)