Author Topic: <Display Artist> not working in Tools  (Read 3618 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there some reason Display Artist doesn't work in the parameters field for Tools?  I can use <Artist> or virtual tag <Artist Group>, but as soon as I change it to <Display Artist>, it goes through as a literal string rather than inserting the correct values.

This is the full contents of the field (command line for Album Art Downloader): /ar "<Artist Group>" /al "$If(<Album>=[single],<Title>,<Album>)"
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
there is no MB tag called <Display Artist> - its simply <Artist>

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
you can access it through the tagging tools plugin as Artist (displayed) so maybe <Artist (displayed)> will work
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
that will be a label boroda74 created.
i think the confusion is MB saves a "DisplayArtist" tag if set the artist value as set in the artist splitter differs from the split artists
But there is no "DisplayArtist" field in MB - its just <Artist>

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
So on the parameters, it uses the direct artist tag, or does it also substitute the display artist as in the main panel?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
the <Artist> tag should be the display artist as you see in the main panel for the "Artist" field
It should be no different to anywhere else in MB where you use <Artist>
I get the feeling you are saying MB is doing something else when using external tools but i see no reason why that would be the case

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I get the feeling you are saying MB is doing something else when using external tools but i see no reason why that would be the case

No, I had just changed it to <Display Artist> (from the virtual tag, which it had been for a long time), without trying <Artist> first.  I just assumed that <Display Artist> would insert the TXXX/Display Artist value and <Artist> inserted the direct Artist tag, somewhat like virtual tags.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I just assumed that <Display Artist> would insert the TXXX/Display Artist value and <Artist> inserted the direct Artist tag, somewhat like virtual tags.
No such luck.  :(
And you can't just set up a custom tag, Display Artist, as it causes some weird conflicts in MB.
Have mine set up as ARTISTS SHOWN, and is copied from Artist (displayed) (in ATaRT plugin) by an auto-applied preset.
That way I can use display artist info in templates and tools.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together