Author Topic: sorting by date added  (Read 4537 times)

yourpassenger

I sometimes like to sort my library by "date added" I also have an auto playlist of "recently added" albums, but when I try to sort by date added it sometimes splits albums apart. Like so:

does anyone know a way to resolve this?

Steven

• Administrator
even though the date added displays as the same on the screen in this case, each would be different by milliseconds. So when you sort by date added, it would split the album between Disc 1 and Disc 2 depending on the exact value.

What i can do is to round the date added to the nearest minute when sorting, which should resolve this.

Of course if the album tracks were actually added on different dates, you would still have splitting if sorted by date added

yourpassenger

I see. I did have a feeling it would be something like that. Would it be possible to sort them using two parameters, like date added AND album artist?

Your solution sounds fine though, but what happens if you import something just as the minute mark passes? (unlikely I know but it could happen?)  :)

thanks for your response!

Steven

• Administrator
you can sort by multiple fields by holding the Ctrl key down when clicking on the 2nd and more column headers
I dont think i can do more for the date added sorting in the time i have available

mkrubsack

I can't figure out how to do this, can someone help me out?

I would like to get a display of my music library by date added. I've tried the sort fields of date added and then also date modified, but when the sort takes effect, only one record is shown. I can go and look at the properties of the files, and they all have dates.

Also, I can get this to work fine in WinAmp, but am having a dickens of a time here. I moved from Winamp to Musicbee,  because Musicbee handles premium podcasts (with username and pw) just fine...winamp can't...and winamp is now orphaned.

The posting earlier in this thread display exactly what I want to do, but at the moment it escapes me how to achieve it.

Thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum! 

Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you say only one record is shown?  It sounds like you're using a column browser or library explorer rather than actually sorting
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

mkrubsack

Aha! I see a playlist option for exactly what I want, and it works as desired.
---
What I was doing is in the Music tab (where my library is displayed), I was doing a right mouse click on the title bar (in my case the left-most title bar is Album Artist. From that right click, I selected Use "Sort By" Fields, then Define Custom Sorting, then in the sorting box, I would make a Sorting Set 1 with just one entry, Date Added and sort Descending. Save and then Apply and Save Again.

Now I have a new right click sort option under Use "Sort By" Fields called Date Added (Desc). When I select that, under the tab heading it just says All (1 item).
---
However, the playlist option selection Recently Added works great. I simply overlooked it. I can work with that to modify it for the number of albums and weeks/months I want displayed.

BTW, I did not see how to attach or insert a screen print.

MusicBee is a keeper. It works great, thank you!

phred

• Global Moderator
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here