Author Topic: Why does MB convert custom id3 tags to all-capitals?  (Read 1697 times)

marlonob

Is there a specific reason why MB convert custom id3 tags to all-capitals?

I’m currently having troubles of consistency because of this. I use several custom tags sourced from MusicBrainz Picard, but each time I edit any tag in MB all these are converted to all-caps, so if then I try to update my tags with Picard, they are not recognized and are written again in mixed-case, and then MB read them as a split tag (one, the old all-caps, and another, the newly written mixed-caps). So I end up with something like this.

This is very annoying to me.

You can use mixed-caps custom tags in every(?) other tag format, so, why can’t you with id3? It doesn’t seem to be part of the standard (neither for v2.3 or v2.4).

I would like to know if there’s a reason before making a petition for this to change.

Steven

• Administrator
i just tried now and i MB doesnt change the case unless you have it mapped to a custom tag.
If thats the case, locate the file: CustomTagConfig.xml located in the musicbee appData folder and edit the letter casing on id3v23="TXXX/MusicBrainz Album Type" id3v24="TXXX/MusicBrainz Album Type"

Steven

• Administrator
Also i have now updated v3.1 so it doesnt force the tag name to be uppercase in the Custom Tags configuration dialog

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yay!  I've been having the same problem.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)