Author Topic: Device charge  (Read 18360 times)

BobJam1

Not sure about this, so I thought I'd ask.

(BTW, I got to this from the review on How-to-Geek)

I use my iTunes to charge up my iPod Shuffle.

I have an adapter and plug it in to my USB port and the little flashng yellow light goes steady, indicating it's taking a charge.

I tried this just using the USB port alone, WITHOUT FIRING UP iTUNES, but the yellow light stayed flashing, indicating the thing wasn't charging.  When I fired up iTUNES, then it would start charging.

So it seems as though I have to have iTUNES running for the thing to charge.

I was wondering if MusicBee is capable of performing the charge on my iPOD Shuffle just like iTUNES was.

I'd like to get iTUNES off my machine, and MusicBee seems like a good alternative, but if it won't charge my iPOD Shuffle, that would be a deal breaker (that is, if I'm right about how the charging works with the software . . . if I'm doing it wrong, then please instruct, but this is how Ive found it to be).

TIA

Steven

• Administrator
i have an iPod nano and dont need iTunes to charge it, and its the first i have heard about needing iTunes to perform the charging - however i cant speak with authority about your shuffle. I certainly dont do anything special in MusicBee to support such a thing, so if it is true about iTunes for your shuffle then i dont think MusicBee will help you. I suggest you do a google search to find more info.

BobJam1

Steven,

You may want to broadcast this solution to your members here on this forum that have iPOD Shuffles, though it doesn't look like you have stickies here so I don't know how you would do that.

The iPOD Shuffle DOES in fact seem to require iTUNES in order to charge, as detailed in this blog:  http://adamzhang.com/ipod-shuffle-charging-problem/.  That blog details EXACTLY what I was talking about.  I highly recommend anyone with an iPOD Shuffle read this.

HOWEVER, burried about two thirds of the way down in the comments section, is a solution by "BriGuy", and then repeated by "Shisnick" about halfway down.

I tried it, and that solution did in fact WORK FOR ME!!!!

Here it is again (I've added a few items from my own experience with it):

1. Plug the iPOD USB adapter into a USB port.
2. Mount the iPOD in the adapter.
3. Open “My Computer”
4. Find the Shuffle under “Devices with Removable Storage”
5. Right-Click on it and choose Eject.
6. The iPOD Shuffle should now show a solid light. (Red, Orange, or Green depending on it’s current charge.)

So I was able to get iTUNES off my machine and am now a happy camper with MusicBee.

While I did encounter a few glitches in removing iTUNES, I've recovered.   I will detail those "glitches" in another post, so that anyone attempting the same thing can benefit from my mistakes.  That post is titled "Details of iTUNES removal".