Author Topic: Newly added files disappearing & edited files 'not found at expected location'  (Read 2805 times)

WimYogya

Hello,
Hope I will not be remembered here as the champion of mysterious errors - at leas not as one who MAKES them.

Since a few days I have another mystery.
Example:

I added files from Fiddler on the Roof Broadyway 1964 - flac.
I SAW them appearing in my library, all 14.
I started editing the tags to my preferences for musicals.
While I was doing so 6 of the 14 files suddenly disappeared from my screen - could not be found back within the library. Only in the recycle bin!

Second mystery:
I added artwork to the remaining files, saved them. OK.
Then I wanted to add the musical title to each indivicual song track.
Upon saving: ERRORS. Message: file could not be found at the expected location.
When I click OK to continue, the same file re-appears WITHOUT the modifications.
And it can NOT be played.
Then I stopped MB and reopened it.
The 14 files now were tripled to 42. Each track was there three times:
1. WITH the originally added artwork and PLAYABLE.
2. WITHOUT artwork and can NOT be played and can NOT be located: not at its expected location
3. WITHOUT ANY TAG - only the (correct) path is shown - plus an exclamation mark at the beginning of the track info.

Both mysteries have been happening several times already in the last few days. With all kind of different albums.
I have no clue why the files could not be found 'at their expected locations' because I did not move them - at least: not that I am aware of...
As far as I know I did not change any relevant setting that could influence my adding and editing behavior.
In the past adding and editing had NO problems.

What is happening?
Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:23:13 PM by WimYogya
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you have auto-organize enabled?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

WimYogya

Hi Psych,

Yes, I always had - with no problems.
I recently made a change in the naming template, from
<ALBUM ARTIST, COMPOSER>\<ALBUM>\<DSC-TRCK><TITLE> to
<ARTIST>\<ALBUM>\<DSC-TRCK><TITLE>

As before a limited number of tracks remains in the auto-organization window for unclear reasons. Two of them apparently because of filenames that are toooooooo loooooooong. Could move them manually and reduce the filename lenght. The others do not really matter to me.

I don't see how the auto-organization feater can create the mysterious problems I described.
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've seen less severe versions of this myself.  My guess is it has to do with a conflict between MusicBee trying to move or rewrite the file and something to do with Windows or your antivirus causing interference.  But that doesn't help you fix it, sorry.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

WimYogya

Hi again,

Could it be useful and would you have time and be willing to do another 'sharescreen' session, so that you can see what happens when?
Since this problem is quite new to me - until about 1 week ago - and I cannot find changed settings that cause the trouble, I wonder if one of the most recent MB updates is responsible. I use the latest version.

It's quite difficult to analyze the nature of the problems, I am not enough an expert to know what happens when and why.
In a way it seems that edit changes made in tracks are not instantly saved (as before), so after the edit you can not play it (track not found on expected location), nor can you make other edits.
In such case the only solution is to close MB, restart, then you find the SAVED first edit, but the following ones are not there.

In some cases (not in all, I think) the track has been duplicated or even tripled. One has ONE saved edit, the other two are obsolete.
It is especially visible in cases where artwork was added/replaced/deleted.

Hope this info brings the solution closer.
Please let me know what can be done...

Thanks,
Wim
WimYogya

WimYogya

Related mystery, perhaps it brings some light in the cause of things:

When (re)editing existing library tracks very often the ARTWORK disappears after the first edit/save.
If you close MB at that moment and reopen it immediately, all affected tracks will be shown double: 1x without, 1x with the artwork.
A few seconds later these two 'merge' and the intended edit is saved, done.

But it doesn't really look and feel the way MB should save edits, right?

PS
For a few hours I thought I had found the cause of my continuous editing problem: my hard disk.
It was (almost) full...
So I deleted 40 GB of other stuff to make more space.
Reaction time seemed shorter, but the editing problems remained...
WimYogya

WimYogya

Newest update:
Auto-organisation seems to create the trouble.
Once I switch that off, editing seems to be normal (so far...)

The question remains, what is the problem that auto-organisation comes across when I am editing?
WimYogya