Author Topic: Eliminating the Default ", The" from Sort Artist  (Read 1511 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
My naming convention has always been to remove the "The" from groups like "The Rolling Stones" or "The Patti Smith Group." Mainly because when the albums are organized by Artist\Album, I don't want all the "The"s showing. I'd rather go to the Rs for the Rolling Stones than search among all the "The"s. And once organized and moved to their new home in the library and on my hard drive, I edit the Artist tag to include the "The" at the -beginning- of the Artist's name.

I'm finding that with the new sorting tab in the Tag Editor that the 'sort as' field defaults to "Rolling Stones, The" which I don't like, want, or need. How can I change the default to just be "Artist Name" rather than "Artist Name, The"?

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Nothing has changed in that regard, you're just seeing what was already there.

I just use a virtual tag when I want the artist name without an article. You'll also have to figure out a way to work around legit artist names that contain a comma, but it's very doable.

Edit: here's a virtual tag I use for both sorting and file organizing that takes the (manual) sort album artist if there is one, and if there's not, uses the Sort Album Artist sans "Ignore Words". (Just skip over the first bit about compilations.)

$If($Or(<Album Artist>="[compilation]",<Genre>="TV Clip"),$Split(<Sort Artist>,",",1),$If(<Album Artist>=<Sort Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,$If($Sort(<Album Artist>)=<Sort Album Artist>,$Split(<Sort Album Artist>,",",1),<Sort Album Artist>)))
Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:25:59 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks psycho. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here