Author Topic: Internal Performer tag (Artists: Performer)  (Read 2968 times)

BoraBora

A request: could the performer tag be added to the "ignore words" list in the Sorting/Grouping tab? Right now, it's unclear this tag is internal and doesn't need to be created as a custom tag.

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20685.0

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I split this into its own topic.  It's the same thing we're discussing here, right?

I believe what you actually need is to be able to display Artists: Performer in the Column Browser.  (Though if it's not already configured to use the Ignore Words values, it should do that too.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BoraBora

Actually, I think it would make more sense to have a "Sort Performer" in the Set Displayed Columns list, just like we have Sort Composer, Sort Artist and so on. Performer is a "people" tag (hence the need to ignore "the") and it's fairly common.

I don't quite get the logic behind the "Artist: Performer" formatting.  :-[ Shouldn't it be handled like any other tag? Right now, you can't use <Performer> in a virtual tag, I just tried. Virtual tags with <Artist: Performer> don't work either.

If you create a custom tag named Performer, then you can use it in virtual tags and in the column browser. But in the Column Browser the list won't be sorted. And if you create a virtual tag to sort it, then you lose the multivalue handling.

Edit: I posted this request in the "Setting to use Sort Artist/Album/etc" topic because it seems to me that's related. I don't mind the split, of course, but still think it made more sense.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't quite get the logic behind the "Artist: Performer" formatting.  :-[ Shouldn't it be handled like any other tag? Right now, you can't use <Performer> in a virtual tag, I just tried. Virtual tags with <Artist: Performer> don't work either.

<Artists: Performer> should be fine in a virtual tag, I've used it myself.  Are you spelling it correctly (Artists is plural)?  Although you'll probably still have the issue with multiple values: Virtual Tags just don't do multiple values.

The "Artist" field in MusicBee is not a 1-to-1 match to the actual Artist ID3 frame.  It includes that frame, TXXX/Performer, a couple of different formats for Remixer, and TXXX/Guest Artist.  Thus the need for the multiple artist splitter, so you can specifically designate which of those fields you want a particular artist value in, and also enter a Display Artist (another TXXX/ frame).  

When you put "Artist" in the main panel, it shows the Display Artist if defined, else it will show all values in the different artist fields.  In column browser, it shows the split values and ignores the display artist. The "Artists" field always shows all artist values, ignoring the display artist.  "Artists: [whatever]" will show only the values in that specific frame (Artist, Performer, Guest Artist, or Remixer).

All of those fields should apply the Ignore Words setting, but that's moot right now since you can't put them in the column browser.  I'm guessing you're thinking of working around it with a custom tag like $Sort(<Artists:Performer>)?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BoraBora

You're right, I mispelled it "Artist: Performer". But as you said, virtual tags don't do multiple values anyway so I'm back to square one. I can't have both sorting and multiple values with Performer or Artists: Performer. Rats.

I only use FLAC with Vorbis tags and WavPack with APE tags, hence my confusion with the "xxx; yyy" formatting.

Thanks again for your continued help, psychoadept.  :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Happy to help.  :)

So if I understand, either you need access to the Artists: ... tags in the column browser, or you need virtual tags to handle multiple values.  My guess is the former is more likely to be implemented.  The latter would be more complicated, and screw up a lot of people's virtual tags.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)