Author Topic: Sorted and multivalued tags  (Read 4598 times)

BoraBora

Hiya!

As I use ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST with single values for compatibility reasons with some hardware players, I use COMPOSER and PERFORMER for the "real" multivalued artist/album artist tags. But I can't find a way for these two tags to be both multivalued and sorted (without "the" before some band's names) in the browser.

Default is multivalued but not sorted. Creating a virtual tag like $Sort(%Composer%) sorts all right but I lose the multiple values. What am I doing wrong?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There is a sort composer field available, actually.  If you download the latest version (http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip), Steven has actually added more support for Sort tags.  You can see the whole discussion here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12027.msg122403#msg122403.

The Performer tag should be treated the same as Artist.  Can you post a screenshot of where it's not being sorted right?  This may be a wishlist request.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

BoraBora

Thanks for the answers! I'm now with the 3.1.6217 version.

I'm using these tags in the browser. I have 3 columns: Composer (which is actually <artist>), Year and Performer (actually <album artist>). The multiple values are OK. An album by Sonny Boy Williamson & Memphis Slim is tagged as such:

Artist: Sonny Boy Williamson & Memphis Slim (compatibility tag)
Composer: Sonny Boy Williamson
Composer: Memphis Slim
Album Artist: Sonny Boy Williamson & Memphis Slim (again, for compatibility)
Performer:Sonny Boy Williamson
Performer: Memphis Slim

In the browser, the <composer> and <performer> columns display one line each for "Sonny Boy Williamson" and for "Memphis Slim" and none for "Sonny Boy Williamson & Memphis Slim" so that's perfect. But they're not sorted, even with the latest patch.

But with this new patch, creating a virtual tag for <composer> works ( $Sort(<Composer>) ). The column is both multivalued and sorted. I still have the problem with the Performer column, though:

Using the <performer> tag as is, the column is multivalued but not sorted.
Using the virtual tag $Sort(<Composer>), the column is sorted but multivalued tags are not recognized, so I have "Sonny Boy Williamson; Memphis Slim" on one line, separated by the semi-colon.

I guess that's because <composer> has been made sortable by default, just like <artist> and <album artist> but <performer> being a custom tag, hasn't.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You don't need a virtual tag, there is already a Sort Composer tag that you can use as-is.  Look on the Sorting tab in the Tag Editor and you will see what the current Sort Composer value is.  It should handle the two composers separately, and if you don't like the values you can override them manually.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BoraBora

Sorry for being dense, I got it. :-[ Now, for my custom tag (<performer>), I guess displaying it both multivalued and sorted in the browser is not possible at the moment?
Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:16:25 PM by BoraBora

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There's also a built in Performer tag.  It's available via the multiple artist splitter.  I assumed that's what you were doing.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BoraBora

Sorry for being unclear. Most of my files were tagged long ago in MP3Tag and/or Foobar2K. MB read my multivalued performer tag OK and display it accordingly in the browser. But the list is not sorted.

Performer column multivalued but not sorted:

With virtual tag $Sort(<Composer>), sorted but multiple values on the same line with separator:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Can you also post a screenshot of your "Define New Tags" window where the Performer tag is configured?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Cool, that's what I suspected.  Try removing that Performer tag from"define new tags", then rescan your files.

Once the rescan is done, go into the tag editor for any file with a performer value and click the [...] next to the artist field.  You  should find your performer tag there.  You can display it in the main panel using the field called "Artists: Performer", and it should work as you desire.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

BoraBora

I deleted my custom tag and you're right: I found the performer tag in front of the artist tag. Thanks a lot for your time, I wouldn't have found this on my own. :o

I still have a problem, though: my custom performer tag was the Album Artist tag (while my Composer tag is my Artist tag). I can swap them in my whole library with a script in MP3Tag, this at least I know how to do. But then, how do I write "Artists: Performer" in the browser column header? All I see are pre-defined tags:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Huh, maybe it's not available there.  I would make a wishlist request for it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Am I confused here?
Is there actually a 'Performer' tag defined in ID3?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Am I confused here?
Is there actually a 'Performer' tag defined in ID3?

No, but MusicBee has a built-in TXXX/Performer tag.  It's normally grouped with the Artist tag, but can be isolated using Artists: Performer (look at the available tags in Set Displayed Fields for Tracks View).
Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:35:58 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Hm, ok.
I never came across that one myself, and I never encountered it being named anywhere in MB. (or in the configuration.xml)
Seems some confusing overlap with TMCL (musician credit list) to me then?