Author Topic: Scanning is stuck  (Read 4114 times)

chaloupier

Hello,

I've just installed MB on a new computer ( running Windows 10) and for some reason, the scanning process is stuck

It freezes at 18 955 of 25 300 files and I haven't been able to unfreeze it, it's driving me crazy. If I change the number of files scanned, it will freeze too, but a bit before. Earlier it used to freeze at 19 002.

I had no problem with the same amount of files on another device running Windows 10 and a similar version of MB (the latest as of today)

My files are mostly MP3, but there are a few FLAC and maybe WAV in the mix. As I said, I had no problem with this on other devices.

Please help me

Thanks

hiccup

Welcome to the forum chaloupier,

The scanning probably gets stuck on a corrupt file.
So it would be advisable to try and find the file(s) responsible for this.

chaloupier

Thanks for answering

How can I do that ?

Given the amount of files, I cannot check them all by hand

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Just scan them in small batches until you find the one that sticks.  Then you can narrow it down.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

chaloupier

I'll try that and get back to this thread with results

hiccup

Thanks for answering

How can I do that ?

Given the amount of files, I cannot check them all by hand

What psychoadept suggested, or use a tool such as 'MP3 Diags'.

chaloupier

Ok, thanks a lot guys, I scanned them folder by folder (hopefully, I had organized the folders by genres and not just by artist, which made it a lot quicker)

There were a couple of albums which had WAV files that didn't react properly, but what is weird is that I had no problem with them on my other device ...

I deleted them and scanned the whole library and it worked !

Thanks very much !  :)

hiccup

Good to hear, and you fixed it quite quickly.
Note that wav is of no added value against FLAC at all, either in sound quality, or in using it in music managers such as MusicBee, since it is rather primitive and prone to issues in relation to metadata (tagging).
Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:11:39 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
There were a couple of albums which had WAV files that didn't react properly, but what is weird is that I had no problem with them on my other device ...
if you still have the WAV files could you PM me a link to one?

jasongnome

It's lucky you're using MusicBee.

I had a similar problem with 2 corrupt music files a few years ago when I was still using Windows Media Player. WMP scans music files on startup automatically, and when it found a corrupt file it just used all of the system resources trying to deal with it meaning the whole laptop ground to a halt and was unusable.

All I knew was that my laptop was only usable in safe mode, it took me over a month to find out that WMP was the problem and it was just because of a couple  of corrupt music files...