Author Topic: Request for some Keyboard Navigation issue fixes  (Read 2113 times)

Phaedrus

I'll preface this by saying that I do 508 compliance testing as part of my work as a contractor to an American Federal Agency. 508 compliance is a set of requirements that software must meet as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The part I usually work with is software. Most of the items in the list have to do with alternative use of the software for people with low / impaired vision, or physical access challenges. Part of this is that you have to be able to navigate the software without relying on a single method of input.

I find myself being unable to use a mouse sometimes, and still want to play with my music. I think this is how I got stuck with doing the 508 compliance in the first place.

Anyway, I've noticed these issues with using the keyboard as the only means of interaction. I have very little customization, and am using version 3.0.6190. The first items are individual key navigation items that I can't get to work. The tab order issues can probably be explained. Thanks for your time and attention.

--Can't open the context menu anywhere using the Keyboard's "Menu Key."

--Can't open the main menu using the Alt key.

--Left/Right keyboard navigation does not move the focused tag field in the track view.

--"Ctrl + F4" does not close an unpinned tab.

--In "Artist View," can't tab to the list of artists.

--My obvserved tab order in Music view with colum browser
1. Colum 1
2. Colum 2
3. Colum 3
4. ? I can't change anything on the keyboard, but a few arrow key presses moves the cursor in the Library panel on the left. It then resets the tab order so that the next item is "1."
5. Without pressing arrow keys, Now Playing List
6. Main track list.
7. Back to one.

--My observed tab order In Music Explorer View,
1. Filter Panel. If I "Up Arrow" past the top list
2. Unknown, can't change anything with Arrow keys, enter or Space.
3. Album Thumbnails
4. Top Tracks by Rating panel
5. Unknown, can't change anything with Arrow keys, enter or Space.
6. Playing Tracks
7. Single tab, with Arrow keys, seems to be the same as number 5.
8. Double tab returns to item 1.
Dell Inspiron, i5, 16GB, 256GBSSD
Windows 11 Preview
MusicBee 3.5.8447, standard install on C:\
Library on External drive;
293,621 Tracks, 18,393 Albums, 4461.93GB, 850d 12:20

Topping D10 32bit 384 kHz USB DAC
O2 Headphone Amplifier
beyerdynamic DT770M 80 ohm
Crossfade M-100 Master Over-Ear

alec.tron

Great angle to approach things (out of necessity from the sounds), never thought about that. But sure is a vital one to make a GUI / app, MusicBee in this case, as useful as possible for all!
Fingers crossed Steven has time to address these (it's all a labour of love and done in the spare time by him afaik).
All the best!
c.

Phaedrus

I'm lucky enough that most of the time I have no problems using a pointing device. Doing this testing has clarified for me the challenges some people face using a computer. I can tell you that relying on a screen magnifier, screen reading software, or even just not using a pointing device can sometimes just plain suck.

In fact, I challenge everyone to rely on some type of accessibility software for a few hours. It will not only give you a different perspective, it will improve your skills as you are often forced to learn new ways to do things.

I hope Steven finds the time to look into this as well. Since I'm the first person to bring this up, I suspect that this isn't a huge issue. It sure would be helpful, though.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Phaedrus

I forgot about not being able to use tab to open the "Splitter" in the tag editor window.
Windows 11 Preview

O2 Headphone Amplifier

Steven

• Administrator
given that i have been making some improvements to the tab handling i will also look at some of these items.
I've started with implementing the menu key for the main panels (so not everywhere) and will update this with the other things i have done
Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:03:38 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
--Left/Right keyboard navigation does not move the focused tag field in the track view.
i wont do this one - those keys moves the horizontal scrollbar when appropriate

--In "Artist View," can't tab to the list of artists.
can you explain this some more or better still show a screenshot?

-- I forgot about not being able to use tab to open the "Splitter" in the tag editor window.
i dont know what you mean with this

this has most of the items:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:18:48 PM by Steven