Author Topic: ripping cd's does not work  (Read 2154 times)

WillTheBee

I use musicbee for a couple of years now but with a new notebook whenever I want to start to rip cd's, the CD drive disapears in windows. I'm alsmost sure it is not linked directly to MB but on the other hand cd ripping works with other programms without problems. And I hope to get support here as the vendor (acer) tell's me it is a problem with the program without a clear problem description.
- After access with MB it disapears in the windows explorer as well as in the device manager
- The drive returns when I restart windows
- with MM, Audiograbber and windows media player the problem is NOT showing up, but
- I have the same problem with foobar2000
- MB ripping works fine with an external DVD/cd drive
- I tryed of course a number of different CD's
- At some point I actually was able to read cd's with MB after disabling the virus scanner and the firewall but I cannot restore that state. My idea was that there was an incompatebility with McAfee but after deinstalling it it was not working anymore at all to rip a cd with MB with the internal DVD/CD

My system: Acer Aspire F5-771G with i7-7500U CPU and 16GB RAM and Win10 Home Notebook with Slimtype - DVD A  DA8AESH drive

Im actually wondering if there is a known problem/incompatebility or if there is any way I can debug the issue e.g with a test sw to get to the root of the problem

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
It sounds like the driver for your DVD drive is crashing.

If you're running the latest driver from Acer; I'd recommend uninstalling it, rebooting, and allowing Windows to install a generic driver.

If you're using the generic Windows driver, I'd check for the latest driver from Acer or the drive manufacturer if Acer doesn't have one for it.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

WillTheBee

Thanks CritterMan
I already did try to reinstall the (generic) driver for the device - actually a number of times and now again - no change
In addition I tried to update the bios as indicated by acer and as well I tried to update the chipset driver - without any noticable change

I did not find any link to a specific driver - but I will keep searching...

To me it looks like different programs access the cd drive in a different way (In fact with some programs the issue is not showing up) - maybe different library's are used, differnt compiler... , but as I'm not an expert in windows programming I have no idea how I can further debug and/or narrow down the issue.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
It sounds like you are experiencing an issue that affects only your specific setup when used with MB. You can get the same ripping quality using Exact Audio Copy, which I have been using since before I started using MB. In fact, I haven't been using MB to rip my CDs because I'm so accustomed to EAC.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6