Author Topic: new flac version released (1.3.2)  (Read 4949 times)

hiccup

To whom it may concern or is interested, a new version of flac has been released.
https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html

wealstarr

Where I come from, FLAC is not liked. But still handy for archiving with a cue instead of ripping in native WAV or making disk Images. Thank for the info hiccup.

hiccup

You're welcome wealstarr.
But that makes me curious, what do people where you come from have against flac?

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
My portable player is loaded with flac. I only have files in another format if they were never released on CD, wav, or flac.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

wealstarr

You're welcome wealstarr.
But that makes me curious, what do people where you come from have against flac?

File size, people on windows wouldn't care but for unix users, at the end of the day, it matters. In our personal opinion, with more (more as in comparison to the size used for allocation of frequencies as what's left out are mostly quite frequencies which are inaudible anyways) data mapped at significantly reduced file size is a better trade off then having lossless compressions but again it's just a personal opinion.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Why do Windows users have less concern about the amount of storage being used than UNIX users?
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Alsweider

File size and popularity are probably the most serious reasons against flac. I hope Amazon will switch their music downloads to flac because storage and data transmission costs are getting cheaper and so file size won't be a barrier anymore in the near future. MP3 is just more popular until now and supported by most devices, but with that lossy encoding you can hear the difference in blind tests very often (depending on the bitrate of course). Also even with a high mp3 bitrate, the difference may be inaudible but there is still something missing and that could effect the general feeling of the listening experience subconsciously. I want to avoid that, even if I don't notice it in a blind test.
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:07:02 PM by Alsweider

AvikB

hiccup

I wouldn't worry about that.
I have been called an audiophile on occasions (go wash your mouth...) but I must admit I have never been annoyed by lack of musical enjoyment with good mp3 encoding.
But I did get a bit annoyed by hearing some vinyl ticks on a demo of an 15.000 audiophile turntable a while back ;-)
And quite frequently by flat sounding cd masterings.
So to mp3 or not to mp3 is probably one of the least important issues to worry about in relation to enjoying music.

boroda

actually i can really *enjoy* music only when i listen to *live* music :)