Author Topic: Exclude 'Inbox' From Searching  (Read 1927 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
When performing a search, either via the Search Box, with 'entire library' enabled, or via a Custom Search, the results also include files in the Inbox. I feel that it shouldn't be included as Inbox files have yet to be added to the library. I feel if someone needs to search their Inbox, they can change the search to 'local node only.'

Ideally this would be done as an option to include, or exclude, the Inbox when searching.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
-1, sorry

That would defeat the whole purpose of global search, in my opinion.  I pushed hard for it to be implemented so that I could find things like albums split between inbox and library.

Why doesn't searching just the library with "local node only" meet your needs?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Ahhh ... the pain and pleasure of using MusicBee. It's so damn flexible and configurable that everyone uses it differently. And that's not a bad thing.

I've never experienced the "album split between the Inbox and the Library" so I never considered that as a reason for including the Inbox in searches. My Inbox use is merely a local stop on the express train to my Library. (Geez that's corny.) It's not full of lots of music. I usually know what's in it and can easily find something simply by scrolling through it. My Inbox is used for tagging and cleaning up albums/tracks and then moving them into the Library.

As for searching "Local Node Only" I've got 90+ playlists and eight filtered libraries. I'd have to know which node to search when looking for something. If I know which node to search, I probably don't need to search.

As with most new features, where some want and others don't, the best solution for something like this is to add an option to searching  "Entire Library" to include or exclude the Inbox. Somewhat like this, but with the option being under "Entire Library" and with a tickbox and the wording "Include Inbox" or "Exclude Inbox".

I know Steven isn't too keen on adding option after option after option, but I think this may be a case where it would not add clutter.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe it would make more sense to have the search locations work like the search fields: a list of possible locations that you can tick or untick.  I would prefer global search included podcasts, too, for instance.  So something like this:

You could choose any or all library nodes (default to all):
Music
-Specific Filters
Audiobooks
Podcasts
Videos
Inbox

OR choose one of:
Current node/playlist only
Specific folders, regardless of whether in library (if this isn't too complicated to implement)
Attached devices?
Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:08:51 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Maybe it would make more sense to have the search locations work like the search fields: a list of possible locations that you can tick or untick.  I would prefer global search included podcasts, too, for instance.  So something like this:

You could choose any or all library nodes (default to all):
Music
-Specific Filters
Audiobooks
Podcasts
Videos
Inbox
I feel this would be quite acceptable. And even an improvement over my initial suggestion. It definitely needs to be tick boxes and not radio buttons.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I'm curious if enough people keep enough tracks in the inbox to cause a problem with the search results being cluttered. I too use it only to remind myself that new tracks in need of tagging await my attention.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6