Author Topic: How can one display the files grouped by folders?  (Read 11692 times)

Donk

How can one display the files grouped by folders?
Windows 10 Home, 64bit | Portable MusicBee

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you don't want to use the computer node, which shows the actual folders, you could sort by Path
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

wobbly

If you don't want to use the computer node, which shows the actual folders, you could sort by Path
more info please

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Check out Sorting under Sorting & Grouping in the wiki.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

wobbly

cool thank  you .. i did not know you could set your own Sorting & Grouping

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
MB has so many features, one can be forgiven for missing most of them. I discover them from time to time by keeping an eye on the forums.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)

wobbly

iam reading as much as i can ...  sometimes  a question will come  up that helps  me understand a bit more
iam on here everyday

hiccup

Asking questions is of course a very good way to learn, but exploring and checking out available MusicBee settings, and searching the forum and wiki for existing topics and explanations on those first is probably even better.

About your original question here:

You could also try out if:
Preferences > Sorting/Grouping > 'files for each album are organised in their own folder'
is what you are trying to accomplish here.
Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:24:43 AM by hiccup

wobbly

You could also try out if:
Preferences > Sorting/Grouping > 'files for each album are organised in their own folder'
is what you are trying to accomplish here.

I looked at that but I found it works fine for some albums but  not good for albums with cd1 cd2 cd3  folders and so on unless i am missing something does  musicbee  know to treat sub folders eg cd1 cd2 cd3 as one album

my folder are like this eg  

ACDC\Live (Special Collector's Edition)\cd1
ACDC\Live (Special Collector's Edition)\cd2

or is
musicbee looking for folders  disk 1 disk 2
Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:06:09 AM by wobbly

hiccup

I looked at that but I found it works fine for some albums but  not good for albums with cd1 cd2 cd3  folders and so on unless i am missing something does  musicbee  know to treat sub folders eg cd1 cd2 cd3 as one album

my folder are like this eg  

ACDC\Live (Special Collector's Edition)\cd1
ACDC\Live (Special Collector's Edition)\cd2

or is
musicbee looking for folders  disk 1 disk 2

On my system all folders and all it's sub folders are displayed with that setting.
So it might perhaps be some specific naming or sorting issue on your side?

wobbly

On my system all folders and all it's sub folders are displayed with that setting.
So it might perhaps be some specific naming or sorting issue on your side?

how are the albums displayed ? for me I  see all the albums but cd1 cd2 show as 2 albums in album view  how to group  cd1 cd2 as one  album  with this setting ..  some albums have uptp seven cds

Donk

Thank you very much!

If you don't want to use the computer node,...
No, no, where could I find that computer node?

...you could sort by Path

I assume,those means the same. I have done that:

How could I group the panel on the left by path now? Where can I find: "that are available from 'Sort By' menu"?

Many thanks again

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
cd1 cd2 show as 2 albums in album view

That's exactly what should happen if your discs are in separate folders. That's what defining an album as all files in one folder does. If you want them to appear as one album, all tracks must be in the same folder or you need to use the other option of defining an album.

No, no, where could I find that computer node?

Display MB in full-screen, then move your mouse cursor to the left side of the screen and leave it there until a panel pops out from the left side. Click on Computer, that's the node.

I assume,those means the same. I have done that:

The option you have selected in the screenshot does not group by folder (path). It groups them by the Album Artist tag and then the Album tag in the metadata of your music files regardless of the folders they are in.

How could I group the panel on the left by path now? Where can I find: "that are available from 'Sort By' menu"?

When you reveal the left sidebar (by moving your mouse to the left) you can use the computer node as I already described to navigate your folder structure. There is a little pin icon at the top right of that sidebar that allows you to keep it visible at all times if you want.

The left panel in your screenshot doesn't support folder navigation unless I am mistaken.

Where can I find: "that are available from 'Sort By' menu"?

Donk

Thank you very much.

Yes, found the computer node and the pin.

The option you have selected in the screenshot does not group by folder (path). It groups them by the Album Artist tag and then the Album tag in the metadata of your music files regardless of the folders they are in.
And under 1. in the screenshot near "Sort", how could I show that path in the left panel or else?

Many thanks again

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
You can't display that in the left panel to my knowledge. At the top left of the main panel, click on whatever word appears there for a menu to apply custom sort settings.