Author Topic: Internal Cache  (Read 6077 times)

Koyotero

Please tell us why the program downloads all the data in a row without a demand, Internal Cache folder. Because of this, I personally have reached the size of one half a gigabyte.
If a local file, this is how we can understand why the radio ?? Keep everything in a photo, biography, lyrics it's pointless.
Please make setting allows you to disable InternalCache or limit its size. The ideal option would be to allow the user to decide which data to store if I save at all.
At the moment, forced to abandon the use of the program, because of this her behavior. Because I'm tired of regularly cleaned InternalCache folder manually.

hiccup

I am not responding as a coder (I am not), just as a user.
Cache files have the purpose of making sure the application will remain quick and agile in actions and responses.
So disabling it (or even limiting it's size) in my opinion is no option at all.

So I don't think that it is as you call it 'pointless' or 'without demand'.
You want album covers displaying nicely, right?
You want MusicBee responding swift and quickly, right?

Checking my own AppData folder, yes, it is big.
But I think I can blame myself since I have a very large music collection, with high quality album covers. And still MusicBee remains extremely responsive. Great.

So in my case, the AlbumCovers cache folder is indeed large, but the other folders are quite small, since I don't use a lot of "radio, artists, biographies" features. (I believe you are referring to those?)

What are the specific cache folders which sizes bother you?
That might give you a clue what you could probably do yourself in changing usage and settings of MusicBee. (or cleaning up the music files in your library)

Koyotero

The size is large due to the fact that I often listen to the radio. In the main panel while the show Photos of the performers. My biggest concern is the size of the folder AppData\InternalCache\ArtistBackdrops\. AlbumCovers also takes a lot of space. Although the meaning of this folder, I do not understand, because cover, and so can be stored in tags or folder with the music. Why duplicate them?
I repeat my position in case of radio songs is pointless to download and store this data permanently.
As one example, for example RarmaRadio that can show album art and photos. But there the data is not stored permanently.
The user must decide what data it save. To be clear about what data I'm talking, here is the screenshot. Need circled in green.

The lyrics in the screenshot there, I use it rarely

hiccup

About albumart; if MusicBee would have to find and resize albumart in your files each and every time you perform an action that needs displaying albumart, MusicBee would become extremely slow. Having all the albumart in a dedicated cache folder prepared and ready to use when needed keeps it quick.

(you can reset albumart cache b.t.w.: Tools > Advanced > Reset Artwork Cache)

I can't really say or judge if the same necessity or benefits apply to radio stations, biographies, lyrics, artist pictures, etc.
Maybe other members have an opinion or input on that.

When it is clear if it would indeed be useful for some specific feature to be added to MusicBee, it's probably best to formulate that as a specific wishlist request.

Mark Morris

This has turned out to be a massive Musicbee negative for me. I have track artwork embedded, so that's all done. But for me that's all I want. I'd love to able to stop MB downloading hundreds (thousands?) of album and artist images which I don't want to see! When it's first loaded, MB takes an age to start replay of a track and I assume this is caused by the high amount of image data it's playing around with? Lyrics are disabled. By comparison, Winamp used the same library, same drive, etc, and played everything instantly. Can nothing be done? Thanks

hiccup

I am guessing you have set up MusicBee to display artist images and/or albumart somewhere?
If not, I think MusicBee will not download and save such images at all.

Mark Morris

Cheers for the response hiccup - but that doesn't seem to be the answer!

After your reply, I re-titled folders 'Album Covers', 'Artist Backdrops' and 'Artist Thumbs' (just in case deleting them cause anything new?!) and replaced them with new, correctly named empty folders. No artwork is set to display anywhere except the embedded image when a track is selected to view or play, so I expected everything to speed up.

Sadly, playback started choppily, and each track took up to 5-10 secs to play. And why? Probably because within minutes, it had downloaded a huge number of new images to those empty folders!

Why on earth isn't there an option to 'NOT Download images' (except manually)?
Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:02:59 PM by handleyman

hiccup

Just to make sure, you do have the relevant 'auto-retrieve' boxes unticked in Preferences > Tags (2) ?
I have no other suggestions for this issue.

Koyotero

Just to make sure, you do have the relevant 'auto-retrieve' boxes unticked in Preferences > Tags (2) ?
I have no other suggestions for this issue.
The chosen option is not relevant to the question. I am talking about ArtistBackdrops folder and its contents.

hiccup

The chosen option is not relevant to the question. I am talking about ArtistBackdrops folder and its contents.

Yes, but I responded to the previous post by handleyman, who mentions " 'Album Covers', 'Artist Backdrops' and 'Artist Thumbs' ".

Sofocl

If the 'Album Covers', 'Artist Thumbs' (and possibly ArtistBackdrops) compress "WebP" or "BPG" and put in a container the size of the cache was, would be ~ten times less.
Here is my Offer in this regard:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13948
Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:57:26 PM by Sofocl
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator
the artist picture caching is needed (and required by one website) to reduce the traffic and bandwidth as the number of musicbee users increases

Koyotero

the artist picture caching is needed (and required by one website) to reduce the traffic and bandwidth as the number of musicbee users increases
Not in the case of radio stations, since the probability of repetition of the same artist is extremely small. In addition, why do I have image of artists not represented in the library and local files.
Offer to save data in the cache only if there is a match in the library and local files. This is especially true of folders ArtistBackdrops, make at least the opportunity to regulate its size.
Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:06:19 PM by Koyotero

tmprojection

I would also like an option to disable album art cache, or at least turn it into a 1 file database or something, i have ssds / nvme drives so loading the embedded files wouldnt be much slower (i know however not many people use ssds or nvms)

the problem is, is that i have my musicbee library and all my music on my dropbox as i sync between devices, and it constantly changes the cache and has to upload / download allllllllll the time