Author Topic: How do I update file names?  (Read 3039 times)

DiaborMagics

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how I should update file names. I bought a Japanese album but in MusicBee I changed all the titles through the edit menu into how they're known in English. Now, all my changes are saved - when I go back into edit I can see it saved everything. However, in my playlist and also in Windows Explorer, the files are still listed with Japanese naming.

How do I make MusicBee take the new names it saved and apply it to everything, both in explorer and in the program itself? I can't read Kanji yet :P

I tried selecting them all and then going to edit --> rename tab, but that tab made little sense to me. It seemed like it wanted to rename everything with album title and track number etc. included and move it to a different folder. That's not what I'm looking for. I simply need it to take the title fields and apply that to Windows Explorer and the program's playlists. Currently only when I play the renamed songs, do the new names show up as 'currently playing'. But that is not enough...

I hope I am a bit clear with this; to complicate things further, I use the Dutch version, so some terms I used may be incorrect for the English version. I tried to translate them so they would make sense in English. For example, I don't know if the 'Rename' tab actually is called 'Rename'... but that is how I translated it (Hernoem in Dutch).

Thanks in advance.

DiaborMagics

Never mind, I worked it out!

For those who wish to know in the future: you can uncheck moving files to a different location, so that they will stay where they are and should be. You can also change the way the naming is done. You can make a backup on your desktop first if you think you'll need to, but if your naming isn't what you wanted it to be, you can simply edit the way it's done and try again.

You can select tags and insert spaces and dashes yourself if needed. By default the program want to give it a path with artists, album etc too. I did not want to move my files as they were already in correct folders, so I removed all those tags and also disc number; then I inserted number (track number) and title and added a space in between. Then all names were nice and neat.