Author Topic: iPod Video (5.5th Generation) recognized as storage instead of iPod  (Read 2599 times)

cjh6gc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
To get this out of the way... yes I understand that MusicBee "does not directly support iDevices." That being said, I've been using an iPod Video for a while now with no/minimal issues. I've also read though several threads:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20213.0
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18097.0
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20377.0
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18506.0

(I also understand there is a plugin, but that's an inconvenient workaround for something that worked yesterday.)

This started when I decided to take my mSATA drive out of my iPod Video (gen 5.5, originally 30GB) and replace it with an iFlash adapter and several microSD cards. I first restored it using iTunes 12.5, which seemed to work fine until I noticed that MusicBee saw it as a removable storage device instead of an iPod. Since then, I've tried the following troubleshooting steps:

-quitting MusicBee
-rebooting both computer and iPod (several times throughout troubleshooting)
-installing iTunes 9.1.2 and using that to restore the iPod (it wouldn't download the firmware for the server, so I had to locate version 1.3 myself)
-detect MTP devices both on and off
-connecting the iPod with iTunes open and closed
-enable disk use on and off (the iPod still shows up in Windows explorer when this is off)
-manually manage music on and off
-attempted to update the USB driver per this help page; the driver installed and renamed the iPod to "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" in Device Manager under USB controllers, but this produced no change of behavior in MusicBee
-multiple computers (though all Windows 10; one w/ iTunes and one w/o)
-I've now also tried going back to the mSATA drive, which now yields the same results as the uSD cards

Any other steps to take? Settings to try?

If anyone has an iPod Video/Classic that's working, I'm curious where it shows up in Device Manager. Mine is appearing under Disk Drives. I don't know where it was before the upgrade.

Some info:
Windows 10
MusicBee 3.0.6132
Both iTunes 12.5 and 9.1.2 tried
iPod 5.5 gen, v 1.3 firmware (25.1.3)
Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:45:30 PM by cjh6gc

cjh6gc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
For reference, here's what my settings looked like prior to the mSATA -> uSD swap:



And now:


cjh6gc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
I'd still like to get my iPod working natively, but I do have the plugin up and running.

Pros:
-I can now sync the iPod games I bought years ago!
-genius playlists?

Cons:
-for some reason I get an error when trying to authorize my computer... and I can't sync the iPod games
-converted files get dumped into the %appdata% folder, and I don't have gobs of space on my C:\ drive
-more cumbersome than native support

I'll probably create a junction to fix the converted files issue.

I am still looking for alternate ideas if someone's found something that works.

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7734
I'd still like to get my iPod working natively, but I do have the plugin up and running.
You might want to post the plugin questions/issues in the plugin thread to be sure the plugin developer sees it.

The only thing I can think to look at for your original issue is Preferences > Devices > detect MTP devices. If it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. Perhaps that will help.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.4 patch from here.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 beta patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
Check out the MusicBee Wiki.
How to post screenshots is here

cjh6gc

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 16
want to post the plugin questions/issues in the plugin thread to be sure the plugin developer sees it.

The only thing I can think to look at for your original issue is Preferences > Devices > detect MTP devices. If it's on, turn it off. If it's off, turn it on. Perhaps that will help.

Seems like the plugin is working fine so far. And the junction works.

I forgot to mention I already tried with both MTP on and off. Not sure why that should affect an iPod anyway, as they don't use MTP.

EDIT: I noticed a few major issues I'm having with the plugin that essentially make it unusable for me, so I've posted in that thread.
Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:18:32 PM by cjh6gc