Poll

Have you set up MusicBee to use ID3V2.3 or ID3V2.4 tagging for MP3?

ID3V2.3 (just left it at default, no specific reason)
19 (42.2%)
ID3V2.3 (intentional)
11 (24.4%)
ID3V2.4
8 (17.8%)
I sometimes switch between them, depending on purpose.
1 (2.2%)
I wouldn't know, it's not important to me.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: POLL: Are you using ID3V2.3 or ID3V2.4 ?  (Read 23089 times)

hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I recently toyed with going back to 2.3 because I was frustrated with lack of Windows support for 2.4.  But then I found an extension for Windows explorer that solved the problem. 

The biggest reason I prefer 2.4 is the separation of musicians and "involved people", which are lumped into one tag in 2.3.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

I recently toyed with going back to 2.3 because I was frustrated with lack of Windows support for 2.4.  But then I found an extension for Windows explorer that solved the problem.  

The biggest reason I prefer 2.4 is the separation of musicians and "involved people", which are lumped into one tag in 2.3.

Ditto, and the expansion of year fields.
Give MS some time, 2.4 is only 16 years old.
What extension is it that you are using?

phred

• Global Moderator
But then I found an extension for Windows explorer that solved the problem.  
Yes, what's the name of, or link to, this extension?

And if one were to change from 2.3 to 2.4 would one have to reenter all the artists for an album that are now separated with a semi-colon?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Give MS some time, 2.4 is only 16 years old.

:)  :D  ;D   :'(  :'(  :'(

The extension is called Audio Shell, you can download it here: http://www.softpointer.com/index.htm

And if one were to change from 2.3 to 2.4 would one have to reenter all the artists for an album that are now separated with a semi-colon?

No, semicolon is the official separator for 2.4.  But MB should handle all that kind of stuff in the background anyway.
Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:21:31 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

The extension is called Audio Shell, you can download it here: http://www.softpointer.com/index.htm

Thnx, this could be very useful. (irrespective if you use ID3V2.3 or 2.4)
I am using their Tag&Rename for many years now to full satisfaction, and I see this might be a very nice addition to it.
Strange that they don't include this functionality in T&R. It looks like a useful, quick and easy tool.

phred

• Global Moderator
ACK!!! I've been using Audio Shell for a couple of years at least. But usually only for a quick tag check on those few occasions when I don't have MB open.

No, semicolon is the official separator for 2.4.  But MB should handle all that kind of stuff in the background anyway.
So if I were to change Tags (1) > Save MP3 tags as: ID3v2.4, I won't have to do anything else? And my multiple artists will be split correctly? Would I need to do a File Rescan?

And since I have your attention, is there any reason to 'also save ID3v1 tags'?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

So if I were to change Tags (1) > Save MP3 tags as: ID3v2.4, I won't have to do anything else? And my multiple artists will be split correctly? Would I need to do a File Rescan?

In MusicBee the 2.3/2.4 setting will only have a direct influence on saving tags, not on reading them. So I am pretty sure this will have no influence at all for MusicBee's abilities to read files.
It will only possibly affect other software or players, and unleash some extra possibilities in tagging for software and players that understand 2.4.
Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:29:07 PM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think the tag format is only updated when you edit the files.  Not sure if a rescan would trigger it or not; we'll have to wait for Steven to answer that.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Only if you want to be sure ancient players will display correct (but very limited) tagging information.
It will only take up 128 bytes, and I am not aware of any conflict in having it present together with v2.
So it shouldn't be an issue at all.
(not revealing anything about my own character here, but if you are either ocd, or prefer lean&mean, leave it un-ticked)

hiccup

I think the tag format is only updated when you edit the files.  Not sure if a rescan would trigger it or not; we'll have to wait for Steven to answer that.

That raises a new question for me.
Is there actually a 2.3/2.4 flag in the header of a file?

phred

• Global Moderator

Only if you want to be sure ancient players will display correct (but very limited) tagging information.
It will only take up 128 bytes, and I am not aware of any conflict in having it present together with v2.
So it shouldn't be an issue at all.
(not revealing anything about my own character here, but if you are either ocd, or prefer lean&mean, leave it un-ticked)
I've had it ticked since day one of using MB. So going with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I'll just leave it as is. I mean, seriously, what's 128 wasted bytes these days?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
I think the tag format is only updated when you edit the files.  Not sure if a rescan would trigger it or not; we'll have to wait for Steven to answer that.
thats right - a rescan only reads from the file.
v2.3/2.4 when reading a file is determined from a field in the ID3 header, but when reading MB will happily read v2.4 specific tags even if the header says v2.3

hiccup

@Psychoadept.
It's an academic issue, but I noticed that Audio Shell will remove existing TDRC frames, and only write TYER on saving.
Not an issue, since I don't believe this has any negative effect on anything considering MusicBee, but I think it's a bit weird, since Audio Shell does support and recognize 2.4.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Huh.  I don't use it for tagging at all, so hadn't noticed ..
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)