Author Topic: Having all regular tags available without needing the 'custom tags' feature.  (Read 22774 times)

hiccup

This was mentioned at a certain point in this thread raised by Psychoadept (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12027.0), but it became kind of a hijack of his original request (I'm sorry psycho), so I decided to create a new wishlist topic for it:

MusicBee has the feature called 'custom tags'.
Yet, that term does not cover the load exactly. You need this feature to be able to make good use of many 'regular' tags also.

My wish is that more (all?) regular existing tag fields become available directly, without the need of using 'custom tags' for this.
It would make the separation and differences between what is a 'regular' tag vs. a 'custom' tag a lot clearer, also for newbees.
And as a benefit it would free up the number of currently available custom tags. So this would also fulfill the existing requests for the availability of more custom tags.

It also would be a step in making MusicBee even more suited for managing Classical music.

But a problem would be that if this would be implemented in all area's, not only drop-down menu's, but also in the tag editor panel, that panel would become quite messy.

So probably another existing wish will have to be implemented as well at the same time, namely having a new design for the tag editor panel (being it vertically or resizable), with the option for the user to choose which tag fields are important for him/her to have in view there.

These are the tags I believe can be considered as regular and are currently not available without the need of using the 'custom tags' feature. (Roughly and subjectively ordered and grouped by importance.)

artist sort order    TSOP
album artist sort order    TSO2
composer sort order    TSOC
subtitle (useful for classical)    TIT3
set subtitle (useful for classical)    TSST
original album (perhaps useful for classical; work?)    TOAL
musician credit list    TMCL
language    TLAN
remixer    TPE4

involved people list    TIPL
original filename (useful for classical)    TOAF
original artist (performer)    TOPE

initial key    TKEY
media type    TMED
file type    TFLT
international standard recording code    ISRC

album sort order    TSOA
original lyricist    TOLY
file owner    TOWN
net radio station    TRSN
net radio owner    TRSO
commercial info    WCOM
copyright    WCOP
official audio file url    WOAF
official artist url    WOAR
radio page url    WORS
publisher url    WPUB
Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:13:45 PM by hiccup

alec.tron

+1, although I only use a handful of the mentioned tags, but even moreso for

this!
new design for the tag editor panel (being it vertically or resizable), with the option for the user to choose which tag fields are important for him/her to have in view there.

c,

Sofocl

the option for the user to choose which tag fields are important for him/her to have in view there.
+1
Sorry for my bad English.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Don't forget sort artist and sort album artist are technically custom tags, too.

+1 to all, with the addition that TMCL should be linked with the performer field (for FLAC files it IS the performer field).  Given the way the standard for TMCL works, though, this will require some additional work to account for both the performer and the role
Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:35:23 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Don't forget sort artist and sort album artist are technically custom tags, too.

Ah yes, thnx, now I see why those two confused me a little bit.
On a completely clean portable test install I noticed them both under the tag editor tab 'tags 2'.
I assumed that I had missed that they were discussed and implemented as regular tags sometime back.

But now I see that they by default occupy the first two custom tag fields.
(so +1 for my own wish ;-)

I added them to the list in the start post.
Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:33:21 PM by psychoadept

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
+1

There are commonly used tags that may as well be considered standardized that at the moment get no support outside of custom tags or only partial support. I definitely agree that it would be nice to have a few of those added.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Steven

• Administrator
with the recent changes for a new dedicated sort tags tab and because of adjusting the tag editor for the iTunes classical music tags, there is room for 3 extra fields in the Tags(2) tab.

So anyone interested please state your request for what those 3 fields might be.

If the vote is for existing custom tags, I wont do anything in regards to automating the migration from existing custom tags to the 3 new dedicated fields - you would need to do that yourself ie. reassign the custom tags and rescan the files

hiccup

with the recent changes for a new dedicated sort tags tab and because of adjusting the tag editor for the iTunes classical music tags, there is room for 3 extra fields in the Tags(2) tab.
So anyone interested please state your request for what those 3 fields might be.

subtitle (useful for classical)    TIT3
set subtitle (useful for classical)    TSST
musician credit list    TMCL

Steven

• Administrator
i also asked this on the classical music thread:
For the TMCL tag (music credits list), how do you think it would be used in MusicBee in a useful way?

Steven

• Administrator
requests i recall from the past have also included "Original Year" and "Original Album".

@hiccup, could you explain how subtitle and set subtitle is useful for classicial music?

hiccup

requests i recall from the past have also included "Original Year" and "Original Album".

@hiccup, could you explain how subtitle and set subtitle is useful for classicial music?

These three just came first to mind when you presented the option to name three.
Ideally I am hoping for a revamp of the whole tagging panel eventually, including increased customization options, with certainly more options for the different kinds of dates and years.

About Subtitle and Set Subtitle:

Subtitle could be useful for classical music because classical releases often don't have a well defining, well descriptive and 'unique' creative title that was thought of by the artist himself, such as is usually the case for pop music.

For classical you could for example have an album named 'Stravinsky' with Seji Ozawa as 'the artist'.
The subtitle could then be, The Rite of Spring, Fireworks, Petrouchka, directed by Seiji Ozawa.
Or an album could be just called 'Violin Concertos', where you would also want to have a more descriptive subtitle.

Set Subtitles in my mind could be well-suited for having an hierarchy for pieces existing of several parts.

So instead of having:

1. Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, op. 6 Allegro con fuoco
2. Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, op. 6 Adagio
3. Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, op. 6 Presto
4. Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, op. 6 Funebre

you could have 'Piano Sonata No. 1 in F minor, op. 6' as a Set Subtitle, so you could easily play, find, compare that piece as a whole.
Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:25:51 PM by hiccup

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1 for original year and original album.

TMCL really should be integrated into the performer tag, as I've mentioned elsewhere

Location or Language could be useful, but the subtitle fields would also be welcome.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
i'm inclined to go with original year; original album; and subtitle
because i am also adding support for involved persons, i will remove "Quality" from the tag editor when docked in the main panel as it seems like a tag that wouldnt be very useful these days. It would still be available in the floating window tag editor