Author Topic: best way to handle albums with multiple cd names ?  (Read 2829 times)

wobbly

best way  to   handle albums with multiple cd names ?
eg multiple  disk set

The Many Faces Of Elvis Presley - Disc One - A Small Circle Of Friends
The Many Faces Of Elvis Presley - Disc Two - The Originals (The Rock N' Roll Years)
The Many Faces Of Elvis Presley - Disc Three - Originals & Versions (The Las Vegas Years)

how should this be taged ?

what fields to use ?

alec.tron

Heya,
tag strategies, or rather philosophies (apart from the standard title/artist/etc), are very personal/subjective... and there's no right or wrong really (unless you need your tags to conform to a 3rd party, person or software...).
So ask yourself, where would you want to see the sub titles of the CDs ?
They could be in the album title, or in the comment tag, or in a custom tag of your liking.
I, for example, do get those 'sub headers' automatically from the foobar discogs tagger I use, and it gets injected into a custom "DISCOGS_TRACK_HEADING" field... but that's just what the foobar component does, and, what works for me (and I'm lazy...), for multi albums sub-headers, as well as sub-sections of the same album (like - https://www.discogs.com/Badawi-The-Heretic-Of-Ether/release/75947 ).
c.

wobbly

well i  would like to see the album as one album cover 

so album title is out  (unless it can be still seen as one album )  ... i need to do more investigating

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I think MusicBrainz has handling for what you are looking for. You'd probably need to add the field as a custom tag for MB to use it. The album you mentioned isn't in their database yet, but here's a good example of a similar album if you're up for learning how to enter releases into the MusicBrainz database: https://musicbrainz.org/release/9d2340af-5194-40a0-b099-944fb2d3a5ef

Be warned, this is a deep rabbit hole to go down if you're not familiar with community-maintained databases. Also, you'd need compatible tagging software like MusicBrainz Picard which you'd also need to configure for your preferences.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

wobbly

iam looking into  foobar discogs tagger  anythink i should know ?

alec.tron

The important thing to know - Foobar2000 is a media player. And you will need some time & the will to DIY-setup the whole thing to your needs.
Out of the box, it does a lot less than MusicBee does. But, once set up, there is very little you can not do with it. The biggest down side is its' playlist management imo, which is why I am using MusciBee as well, which is much more rounded/polished/modern.
I've just used foobar for 10+ years as my go to media player & maintainer, so I am used to its' ways & prefer its functionality in some areas (most likely just to being used to it that way).

There is a discogs tagger here for MusicBee as well. Not sure how that handles sub-headers though... but I would suggest trying that, before considering learning & setting up foobar from scratch...

c.

wobbly

i have played with Foobar2000 in the past just not the  foobar discogs tagger ..  just looking in to options

just need to get the info from discogs with the nice  layout into  musicbee ..  willing  to try anything ...

i dont mind playing with new stuff..  i just ask a lot of questions  until i nut out how things work  ..  I just keep digging until i have a full understanding of something and i wont stop until i do