Author Topic: "Send to Library" doesn't get correct file sharing permissions  (Read 2781 times)

TeutonJon78

I'm currently sharing my music library (the files, not the Musicbee Library) using Windows File Sharing. The permissions are set to Everyone can read/write.

If I add a file to the directly manually, Windows adds the correct permissions on that file, and everyone can view it on the network. However, if do a "Send to Library" on the local computer to add a new music file, those permissions are not setup, and no one on the network can see it. I have to re-enable sharing on the directory for windows to recurse through the tree and set those parameters.

Is there a way that MusicBee can get the correct parameters when it copes a file somewhere?

Steven

• Administrator
"send to library" doesnt create a copy, so there must be a step you havent mentioned.
Is your library auto-organised and you mean that musicbee moves the file to a new location. Is the new location on a different drive?
also what MB version are you using?
Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:12:15 PM by Steven

TeutonJon78

The version of MB that was being used was 6122 (so between Update 2 and Update 3). It's updated to 6172 now.

Steps:
1) share the music file directory in Windows (add "Everyone with read/write)
2) everyone can see all the files
3) download new purchased music from Amazon -- gets put into a separate directory
4) navigate to music directory in MusicBee of downloads
5) right click and send to Library (which has auto-organize on)

Results:
1) the files are added to the library correctly
2) the files are moved to the correct location in the library correctly
3) other computer on network can see the new directories created, but the files don't show up at all

Workaround:
1) go into Windows sharing and essentially reshare the directory
2) Windows goes through the whole dir structure and fixes the permissions
3) other computer can now see the files as well

So somewhere in the process of moving the file from the old directory to the new directory, all of the file permissions aren't getting set up correctly. I'm not sure that MB can even correct this, but it's definitely not working now (I've used the same thing in the past, and I believe it has worked correctly, but that might have been pre-Windows 10 and definitely earlier versions of MB).
Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:58:06 PM by TeutonJon78

Steven

• Administrator

TeutonJon78

Yes

D:\Music\Purchased\Amazon\whatever for the downloads
D:\Music\MusicBee for the MusicBee files
D:\Music\Music Library\whatever for the actual music files (this is the shared directory).

Steven

• Administrator
its not actually a bug in MB, but the default windows behavior. Windows explorer is doing some extra handling to reset the file access.
I have put the same logic in MB so it inherits the new parent folder permissions when the file is moved, but only if the file being moved does not already have permissions explicity set.
I will make the updated version later today or tomorrow

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee files
Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:05:09 PM by Steven

TeutonJon78

Awesome -- thanks.

Will it do the same thing for the directories it creates? I assume it would have to, otherwise the files would be inheriting from a parent that isn't setup.

Steven

• Administrator