Author Topic: organizing removable drives  (Read 6228 times)

Steven

• Administrator
You mean they are gone from the library and are still on the device at the expected location?
Send me a link to a zip of your musicbeelibrary.mbl file and let me know the name of a couple of the songs - artist, title and album

Steven

• Administrator
I dont see any files on the e: drive but they are located on D:\PHC1of3, D:\PHC2of3, D:\PHC3of3, D:\A Prairie Home Companion, etc
It appears your drive letter changed since you initially added them, and none are marked as being in any library.
If you can confirm that and add any comments you might think relevant, then i will think about what MB would have done when the drive letter was different - i cant immediately think of why MB would have changed the path to d: - i guess the old e: files were removed and new ones scanned from the d: drive
Do you you check for updated or missing files enabled in the library preferences?

edit:
the only way i can think of it would happen is if the drive became D: and E: was an accessible drive. In that case the files would have been flagged as dead links instead of being marked as not accessible. Then the dead links might have been removed
Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 08:31:26 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There are files on both D:, which is my external drive, and E:, which is the SD card.  

The files on D: are the originals that I recently downloaded, now mostly in .flac format.  There are 398 of these, last I checked.  They have never been added to my library.  However, the folders PHC1of 3, etc no longer exist.  Everything has been merged into A Prairie Home Companion, organized in folders by individual date.

The files on E: are all MP3s, some converted from the files on D: (but not everything on D: is on E:) and others I acquired elsewhere.  There are 620 of these, organized in folders by year.  These are the ones that i was trying to organize originally,  And now can't find in the library.  It is definitely still E:.
Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:09:43 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Here's a screenshot of the playlist.

MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
Yes there is a bug that removes the file from the library cache when you include files from device in an auto-playlist using folders. This should fix it, but please test it out tonight if you have time

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I updated and have been using it for about an hour.  So far so good.  Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

El Chapin

Related to this issue, it was suggested by another Forum member that I post my issue on this similar question.  Although, my issue is simpler than the OP's:

My urgent question is:

** what are the steps to populate MusicBee 3.0.6335 (dated May 6, 2017) library from an SDXC card that IS recognized in MusicBee Navigator Panel under Devices? (I'm under Windows 8.1. SDXC card is set up as removable media and works fine with VLC player.)**

I think the need for these instructions is much greater due to more use of removable storage media.
Let me add a clearer way to see the problem:

I uninstalled and reinstalled MB.  When asking if I want to scan my folders for MB library set up, it only shows a couple of folders on my C: drive. So I unchecked them. The same window however, also presents a box "choose folders".

Click "choose folders" and it shows:
_ Libraries
_ Windows C:
_ WLAN backup hard drive

(Interesting that it shows the WiFi hard drive, but neither of the removable drives on my PC -- the SDXC card or the USB drive.)  My music files are all on the SDXC card. 

And then, this is probably the most helpful way to see the problem:

>I go into Edit/Preferences

>Under Preferences/Devices the SDXC card clearly shows as a device.  (Note the "Folders" box at bottom of that window is empty.)

>Under Preferences/Library/Monitored folders there is another "choose folders" box.  Click it to choose the SDXC device and the Music folder in it (with all my music files), but again, it only shows the same 3 folders as when I clicked it above.  The SDXC does NOT show up as an option to choose music source files from -- even though it shows in Devices.

That's where I dead end.  Can anyone else replicate this problem to see the issue?