I've been doing a lot of editing on these files (filling in dates, standardizing titles, etc), and now they've disappeared from my library. I fought with them for quite a while last night, rescanning folders and moving things from the inbox, etc, and finally got them to show up again in my audiobooks node. But now they're gone again. All 600+ files. Not in the library, audiobooks, or inbox. A search won't find them. The only places I see them are in portable devices and an auto-playlist I made based on folders (because I'm comparing the library copies with the originals on my external drive).
Specifically, here's a sequence of steps I just did:
* Dragged all 620 files to the Audiobooks node (from the playlist): nothing shows up
* Rescanned for files: MB says 620 files added to the inbox, inbox count reflects this. but if I actually go to the Inbox, the file count is the same as without them, and a search will not find them.
* Looked at the auto-organize rule for E:\ and made a change: nothing shown in the auto-organize preview.
* I deleted the playlist and rescanned again, and was then able to re-add the files to audiobooks from the inbox
* Then I recreated the same auto-playlist, and the files disappeared from audiobooks.
* It seems like the playlist is part of the problem, but this isn't entirely conclusive, because I was able to get the files back in place at one point last night without deleting the playlist, so... ?
Edit: Also, there are some files which I originally converted to 320k (from WAV), and then I reconverted from the original file to a VBR file and used the Replace command to switch for the 320k version. But every time I reload the playlist (the one using folders rather than the library), they say 320k again. As soon as I recan the file, it shows the correct VBR, but it never sticks. Reload the playlist and it's 320k again. This has been across many restarts of MusicBee. I've also removed the files from the playlist and restored them a few times. I've even recreated the playlist from scratch.