Author Topic: Re-scanning library doesn't work  (Read 3102 times)

ralfiii

Hey there. I am new to MB, so sorry if this is trivial:

I have added some of my music files and deleted others.
How do I now tell MB to re-scan the library folder?
If I select File / "Scan folders for new files" I just get the message "File rescan/ add completed - no new files added".

Would deleted files also be handled by this command? (if it worked)

And, one more thing I realize:
When I select File / Library / Remap Music folders, MB lists 2 folders. The one where all my MP3 files are in, and a 2nd one which at some time in the past had files on them. What has the old location to say here? How do I get rid of that?

Thanks,
Ralf S.

PS: I am using MB V3.0.6132 on a 64bit Win10 machine.

alec.tron

Usually, MusicBee should pop up with a window and a warning that it can't find files (if some have been moved/renamed/deleted), and dialogue option if to remove the files from the library, or to leave the dead links.
Why this is not triggered in your case I can not say, but I have the same problem with a re-mapped library with 3.1.* version.

Or is this post-library remap that you are seeing this issue ? Then it looks like we both stumbled onto the same bug...

Cheers.
c.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I have added some of my music files and deleted others.
How do I now tell MB to re-scan the library folder?
If I select File / "Scan folders for new files" I just get the message "File rescan/ add completed - no new files added".

Would deleted files also be handled by this command? (if it worked)
use Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files
after rescan completes, you should get the message alec.tron spoke about

When I select File / Library / Remap Music folders, MB lists 2 folders. The one where all my MP3 files are in, and a 2nd one which at some time in the past had files on them. What has the old location to say here? How do I get rid of that?
in Preferences> Library> monitored folders
you probably still have the 2nd location still being monitored
un-check it from the list and it should be removed from the list of remap folders
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

ralfiii

use Tools> Advanced> Rescan All Files
after rescan completes, you should get the message alec.tron spoke about

I tried that and it didn't work.
I now uninstalled MB, deleted the data folder and re-installed it. We'll see if that solves the problem...

phred

• Global Moderator
@ralfiii- to avoid this happening in the future, move or delete files from within MB. Doing it via a file manager will only lead to issues like yours since MB doesn't know where the files went.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

ralfiii

@ralfiii- to avoid this happening in the future, move or delete files from within MB. Doing it via a file manager will only lead to issues like yours since MB doesn't know where the files went.

Yeah, theoretically this is a good idea, but I sync my music library via a cloud tool between 2 computers and my mobile phone, so in reality that's unfortunately not an option for me.
In winamp-times, I selected "Rescan watch folders" and "Remove missing files from library" (both in the "Library" menu) from time to time.
Let's see how MB behaves after the re-installation...

alec.tron

I still have a bung portable MusicBee post-remap - and I have a hunch the remap is the root for the troubles that after the remap, monitored folders / rescan does not work as intended anymore.

I have the case where I had this in file structure (pre-remap):
/labelA/
   /releaseB/
   /releaseC/
   /releaseD/

And upon moving data to the new location (which I later remapped MusicBee to), I also added new albums to the above, so it looked like:
/labelA/
   /releaseB/
   /releaseC/
   /releaseD/
   /releaseE/
   /releaseF/

And within the new location, after having the old library paths in MB remapped (so    /releaseB/ through    /releaseD/ were working again as intended), a re-scan of the monoitotred folders, which the above is part of, simply does not see the additional
   /releaseE/
   /releaseF/
folders within the monitored folders no matter what I do.

If anyone / Steven wants me to test / check something with the MB portable setup exhibiting the above behaviour, sing out, otherwise I will re-install MusicBee from scratch tonight or tomorrow as well to fix the issue & set up my library from scratch again.
Cheers.
c.

alec.tron

Interesting.
Now, the next day, after multiple MusicBee restarts & manual re-scan triggers last night (but no reboot) over the course of 2-3 hrs, and none of the new tracks I added appearing in my inbox - they have appeared in the inbox as expected now.
Any idea what might have stopped MusicBee from noticing those new tracks (about 12 albums / 150 files worth...) throughout all that time ?
Odd and odder,
c.