Author Topic: ipod classic (ver 1.x software), do I NEED iTunes?  (Read 4553 times)

MusicIsCrazy159

i read the thread on musicbee and older ipod classic;
since I have an older version of the ipod software on the ipod, do I  NEED to use iTunes to re-format it?
I haven't used i'tunes for many years, just kept same music on machine, and it's one less piece of software i'd need to install
thansk

phred

• Global Moderator
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicIsCrazy159

OK, version 9.2.1 does not work, tried to RESTORE, and get a server issue with iPod update server.
I downloaded their 10.7 version, it DID allow the restore, and kept my firmware at 1.3

I can now see the device, (my iPod is device aoz80), BUT MusicBee is seeing it as the F: drive

As such, it does not allow me to select a path other than F:

QUESTION
how to get MusicBee to see this as an iPod and not drive F:?

QUESTION
SETTINGS
your thread states the PATHS to use, BUT do I select the option of
USE NAMING TEMPLATE,  or    PRESERVE FOLDERS and FILENAMES  ?

QUESTION
PLAYLIST -  what do I select for that, the PATH and FORMAT, and whether to create a subfolder or not?

any help appreciated.
thanks
nick

phred

• Global Moderator
OK, version 9.2.1 does not work, tried to RESTORE, and get a server issue with iPod update server.
I downloaded their 10.7 version, it DID allow the restore, and kept my firmware at 1.3
Very odd. I've never heard it working with anything over 9.3, but if you got it to reset and keep the firmware at 1.3 that's great.

I can now see the device, (my iPod is device aoz80), BUT MusicBee is seeing it as the F: drive
As such, it does not allow me to select a path other than F:
QUESTION
how to get MusicBee to see this as an iPod and not drive F:?
Not sure exactly why that is, but make sure 'detect MTP devices is checked in device settings

QUESTION
SETTINGS
your thread states the PATHS to use, BUT do I select the option of
USE NAMING TEMPLATE,  or    PRESERVE FOLDERS and FILENAMES  ?
You should not even be seeing those options. Again, it may have to do with 'detect MTP devices' isn't enabled.

QUESTION
PLAYLIST -  what do I select for that, the PATH and FORMAT, and whether to create a subfolder or not?
Something isn't right with your Classic's setup. For the first time in years, I recently wiped my Classic and when completed, upon connecting to MB, the settings showed up as follows, without any intervention from me. And it's been working fine with MB.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply

see this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vltjyqe8hov6clu/musicbee-101.jpg?dl=0

musicbee sees the aoz80, and itunes sees it as an ipod, but musicbee is seeing it as drive "F:".  I DO have the option for the detect the MTP devices.
I'm ready to take a hammer to the ipod.
but i'm willing to try anything else that may help
thasnks

ALSO- in iTunes - ther is an option   "Manually manage music and video's".  I have this CHECKED.  If UNchecked, then itunes will try to dump stuff to the ipod.
how did you set your itunes option when you cleaned off the ipod?  (Addendum, having this checked or unchecked did nothing)

ADDENDUM
OK, got totally fed up, I added pointers to my current muslc library, and exported a playlist from MusicBee, and am importing it to iTunes, and sync'ing the ipod with this (will do othre lists later)
if this list works, then at least I can use musicbee to organize the music, and periodically fix the ipod.

Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:09:07 AM by MusicIsCrazy159

phred

• Global Moderator
ALSO- in iTunes - ther is an option   "Manually manage music and video's".  I have this CHECKED.  If UNchecked, then itunes will try to dump stuff to the ipod.
how did you set your itunes option when you cleaned off the ipod?  (Addendum, having this checked or unchecked did nothing)
I enabled the option to manually manage music and video. I also keep all syncing options turned off.
However I just launched iTunes and connected my Classic and noted that its software version is 2.0.4. I think that may be the issue. If you're willing to chance it, you can find it here: http://iosindex.com/ipod-classic/3g/2.0.4-35
If you try it, I think you should find and keep a copy of your original firmware nearby in case 2.0.4 doesn't work for you.
Please let me know if it works so I can update the Tips & Tricks post.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

MusicIsCrazy159

thanks for reply

unfortunately, can't update firmware.  My device is older than yours !  Mine doesn't have the name CLASSIC in it.  I checked the apple site;  my 80g device was made in about 2006, and it is an ipod 5th generation or so, and it has the latest available firmware . My wife's (have not tried hers yet) is one of the FIRST classic models, it is 160g.
and they dont have firmware for either of those.

SO, I will have to live with just using itunes to mirror MusicBee.
HOWEVER, it is not that bad.  I put the links to my music into Itunes (this mirrors what is in MusicBee)
I then edited each playlist to "EXPORT A STATIC PLAYLIST copy"
I set up folder in MusicBee Library to have "Playlist_BACKUP"  (musicbee is not clear in how is stores these static ones;  what I first had to do was EXPORT one, to this directory of choice, and all other exports are following this path)
I then can go into iTunes and IMPORT these playlists, and then just sync them to the iPod

The only issue is as I make modifications inside MusicBee, to any of the music (fix GENRE's, ARTISTS, etc), to have iTunes see that the music is changed, and sync this at some future time.

But MusicBee lets me have all my music on my Samsung Galaxy S7, and with a 128g MicroSD card in it, it is doing well.  AND, with a chromecast device, and wifi, i can take this almost anywhere.

SO, I can live with the iPod limitations;  MusicBee is letting me clean this music up, much better than iTunes let me do, and now I have it across multiple play devices.

I've only had musicbee for a couple weeks, and I know i've posted several questions (some of which still aren't clear, such as my "preserve paths thread"), but I've been on a fast learning curve, and this forum and its members (including you) have been great.

MusicIsCrazy159

One other question on this

if I EDIT a music file in MusicBee (rename a genre, etc), and the MP3 file gets updated

How do I get iTunes to know this is an updated MP3 file (since itunes just has the posted names in it) so that the next time itunes sync's with my ipod, it copies that UPDATED MP3 file to the ipod?

thanks

phred

• Global Moderator
if I EDIT a music file in MusicBee (rename a genre, etc), and the MP3 file gets updated

How do I get iTunes to know this is an updated MP3 file (since itunes just has the posted names in it) so that the next time itunes sync's with my ipod, it copies that UPDATED MP3 file to the ipod?
This might be a question to ask on an Apple/itunes forum.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki