Author Topic: MusicBee deletes Tags while Saving  (Read 2155 times)

p_rikk21

Hi Guys,

i have a question regarding a very annoying problem.
The problem appears since version 3.0

When i'm changing tags of multiple files (for example of an ablum), MusicBee deletes some of these while saving.

The tags: title, album title, year, genre, title number are always missing in nearly half of the files where i have saved changes.

do you maybe know whats the matter?

thank you for your help.

Steven

• Administrator
one other person has made a fairly similar comment but not something i have seen myself.
Firstly, can you confirm whether the tags in the music file have been updated ie. they are only missing when displayed in the main panel. You can check using the tag inspector which can be opened from the tag editor dialog.

I expect that is the case, in which case could you try using v3.1
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
unzip and then replace the existing files where musicbee is installed

edit:
doing some more testing, i think it is possible to create a situation that MB doesnt actually commit the tags to file. The track would need to be playing at the time and then after editing the track details, you then rate the song still while the track is still playing. If you have MB configured to not store ratings in the music file, then in that case only, the changed tags wont be written to the music file. That use-case is already fixed in the v3.1 link above.
Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:33:20 PM by Steven

p_rikk21

Hi Steven,

thank you for your help.

now no more tags get deleted anymore. i tested a little bit more
but since i changed the files from your patch it isn't possible to change the artist anymore.
no changes are able to save...

i replaced the patch files with the "old"/original files and the old problem was still here, but then i took a look in the tag-inspector (as you told me), and there all tags are still there.

Steven

• Administrator
working fine here. I suggest you describe in step-by-step format what you are doing

edit:
if i enable auto-organise then there does appear to be some sort of issue but i wont be able to look at it until tomorrow
Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:20:27 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
this fixes the issue when auto-organise is enabled - its not specific to the artist field

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing musicbee files

alec.tron

To chime in, RE

doing some more testing, i think it is possible to create a situation that MB doesnt actually commit the tags to file. The track would need to be playing at the time and then after editing the track details, you then rate the song still while the track is still playing. If you have MB configured to not store ratings in the music file, then in that case only, the changed tags wont be written to the music file.

I'm having a fair lot of troubles with metadata edits from Musicbee not arriving in the files' metadata as it turns out.
And, I've always had MB configured to store ratings in the music file! But, I'm also nearly always setting the rating while listening to the file I am rating as well...
So, upon more investigation, it looks like only ~half to 2/3rd of all ratings I have set in MusicBee (around 5k by now) have actually arrived in the files' metadata as they were meant to.
Is there any way for me to force-write the rating values for all of these files, which at this point exclusively lives in MusicBee's database only, without shit-enter editing and saving (without playing them) on every single one of them ?

See screenshot of a hand full of files with the issue, and the way MusicBee displays them in the other thread...
Cheers.
c.
Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:05:15 AM by alec.tron