Author Topic: Inconsistent metadata display in Tag Editor VS Tag Inspector occasionally  (Read 4635 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
I occasionally came across this, but have yet to find a way to reproduce it reliable. But I see this more often now - i.e. that the Tag Editor & column view for a given value say one thing, Tag Inspector (and another program, in this case Foobar2000) another when changing/adding to the data:

http://imgur.com/a/ukNIB

I only have ID3 2.3 tags on mp3s, no other ID3s version tags... and this only seems to affect multi value metadata on mp3s (which I only extensively use on the GENRE field...). I don't think I have seen this on flac/vorbis multi tags though, but will keep an eye out.

Anyone else experiencing this ?
Is it a known issue ?

Cheers.
c.

ps. 2 MB restarts later and multiple re-open & re-save (of the MB internal multi value metadata which I am trying to write to file) this finally was written and is now shown in Tag Inspector and foobar as expected.
Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:10:37 AM by alec.tron

redwing

alec.tron

Foobar does not set anything in the above example. It's just a safety net to check if a tag has been set properly by MB...
i.e:
- open Tag Editor in MB
- save new/additional tag in musicbee
- close tag editor
- skip to next file(s) in MB
- rinse & repeat

After a batch has been done in MB (usually dozens to 100s of files), I re-load the edited files in Foobar to check if the tags have been written as intended. And in some cases, MB hasn't as the one I did the screenshot on, which is why I started to double check all with foobar if MusicBee really has written the tag.
c.

Steven

• Administrator
if you update a file externally to MB then the cached tag values in the musicbee database will be out of synch.
The tag inspector directly retrieves the raw tag data bypassing the cached values in the musicbee database.
You can either manually rescan the files or enable "on startup check for missing or updated files" in the Library preferences. However that can take a minute or so to see the completed results for large libraries

alec.tron

Sorry, I seem to be expressing myself unclearly.
Only MusicBee writes metadata in all of the above cases. I use foobar to verify the metadata edit from MusicBee actually has been written to the file's metadata, as in some cases, these metadata edits from Musicbee seem to fail - which is what the screenshot shows (as both MusicBee's Tag Inspector nor foobar show the metadata edit from MusicBee occasionally although it was edited, saved & Tag Editor was closed in MusicBee, so the metadata write process should have finished).

To catch these occasional 'I have been told to write/change the metadata, but actually I don't change it in file'-situations from MusicBee I've started to verfity tags/metadata with Foobar, which does this a lot faster on multiple files.
I have a hunch that this could also be contributing (i.e. having foobar & MusicBee run at the same time, since Foobar does auto refresh - so there is a small chance that MusicBee and Foobar step on each others feet (?)... i.e. MusicBee might try to write the metadata just the moment Foobar reads the file for an auto refresh, leading to MusicBee metadata write as trigger by the user, in this case me, not arriving in the file (?) - I'll try and see if having foobar closed on Musicbee metadata edits has a positive effect on how often I see this happen).

Churs.
c.

ps. Oh, to clarify some more, in the screenshot example 'Dubstep' was the previous Genre, I then added 'Bass Music' & 'House' in Musicbee as additional GENRE values, which then did not arrive in file (as confirmed in MusicBee's Tag Inspector, as well as Foobar).
Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 10:10:55 AM by alec.tron

Steven

• Administrator
thats exactly the result i would expect if an external program is updating the file. It doesnt have to be foobar updating the file.
The tagging functionality has been around for ages and i am not going to spend time looking at things that dont sound plausible that musicbee would be the source of the issue.

alec.tron

Nothing other than MusicBee was updating the file.

But, I'll try to see and force IF a foobar reading a file can stall a MusicBee file-write, if it happens at the same time.
But if that were the case that these actions happen at theb same time on the same file (which is unlikely...) - would Musicbee then not throw a visible error that it couldn't perform the task requested by user, i.e. that it couldn't write the metadata...?

Cheers.
c.

redwing

Was the track playing at the moment you're editing the tag? Then that can happen because MB has to wait until playback stops.

Steven

• Administrator
Another possible reason for inconsistency between the MB database and the actual tag values is if MB is terminated before it can save the database.
It has been a common request in the past that MB flushes the database after any tagging operation. It already does that for some major operations but not when editing files via the tag editor.
For the next v3.1 update, I have changed it so the database should be flushed in all cases. There is a 60 second delay before the database is actually flushed so its still theoretically possible to get inconsistencies if MB is abnormally terminated.
Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:22:43 PM by Steven

alec.tron

Hey Steven,
thanks for that - what's the actual change in regards to this thread ?
Does it re-hash the tags differently to avoid the disparate state I had above ?
Or does it throw an error now if metadata writes were unsuccessful ?
Or both ?
Cheers.
c.

ps. found a reply from Steven elsewhere that's probably applicable here for the linked patch as well:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=20380.0
Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:43:04 PM by alec.tron

alec.tron

Turns out, the inconsistencies are much worse than I thought they are...
I've only occasionally noticed it on Genre, Artists & Title tags... but looks like this is a semi constant issue when it comes to rating values (so far I've gone through 5084 files out of 25000 and I preferred to do this through Musicbee... and this has taken a long time already as I am correcting multi value genre tags & a few others...). See:

So I'm not very keen on going through all of those again to double check all rating values in Foobar to make sure MusicBee has really written the value that it was meant to write into the file metadata by rating it manually in Musicbee.

So for a way out of this patchy mess - is there any way to force a rewrite of user-defined metadata (only the Rating/POPM value) on a selection of files ?
Or, run a query in MusicBee to see which values have not made it into the metadata but Muscibee database only ?

Cheers.
c.

Steven

• Administrator
Tools/ Advanced/ Synchronise Tags writes all standard (inc. rating) and mapped custom tags from the database to the music file. I suggest you try it on a few files first

alec.tron

Thanks for the info, this seems to work.

Any chance to put "Tools/ Advanced/ Synchronise Tags" on a hotkey ? I have looked but fail to see it in the hotkey editor.

Cheers.
c.

alec.tron

Heya,
there's some inconsistencies between setting a tag & seeing the data in MB's interface (again or I never noticed, in 3.2.6679 atm for me) from the point where you set a tag, and the information does not appear in the tag viewers for a fair while.
This is how it is 100% reproducable for me:
- I have a hotkey functionality set via Boroda74's Advanced Tagging tools.
- This hotkey takes values from 2 fields (Rating/TPOP & a custom Energy field), and writes them into a 3rd & 4th field respectively (to Grouping & Mix Artis - which I do not use for anything, but some programs I use, where I need to see the values have a limited subset of metadata fields to access, so I need to shoe-horn the values I am interested in into the fields they can display... ).
- Once I execute the hotkey, it sets the values correctly in MB's tracks view.
- IF I now open Tag Editor, it does show the value fine as well, but in the Tag Inspector (which I thought is meant to be the reliable & always activley query-ing bit), these new tags are no where to be seen, see:

After a bit of time (2-5 mins) and/or a MB restart, these new tags do show up in Tag Inspector as well, but I find this behaviour somewhat confusing. Is this intended/known ?
Cheers.
c.