Author Topic: Loading whole external hard drive into library?  (Read 4694 times)

trudge

Just got MB and I want to load all of the music from my hard drive into the player.  I am a little confused on how to do this.  Every artist has an individual folder and within that are individual folders of each album with the files inside those folders.  I got to the create new library step and then was not exactly sure how to proceed.  If I select my F drive for the "create a new MB database located in folder:" will that load the whole hard drive or do I need to do something else?  Thank you for any help.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Welcome, trudge! I've never used a drive as a folder when importing new music, but if it doesn't work you can add the folders in your drive's root directory and make sure to scan all subfolders as well. Fair warning, the more folders and subfolders you add the more time it takes to scan them. Here is the wiki page on importing which may help you: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Importing
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

trudge

I have read the importing wiki but it doesn't seem to address my particular question.  Still don't know if I can just select my drive and have everything imported.  I want to do this the right way the first time if I can.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For this: "create a new MB database located in folder", choose the folder where you want MusicBee to store its own library files.  It has nothing to do with your audio files.

For the audio files, yes you can just point MusicBee at the drive and it will import everything.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

trudge

I was making this much more difficult than I needed to.  Didn't realize what it was asking for for the location of the database folder.  I put it in Musicbee folder and then designated my F: drive to scan and away she went.  Up to 150,000 files of 221,804 scanned.  Now just waiting to see how everything is organized.  Thanks for the help.