Author Topic: Default to keep the bit depth when converting files  (Read 2572 times)

redwing

Currently if you use MB's default settings for converting 24-bit files, they get converted to 16-bit files.
Foobar defaults to keep the bit depth when converting as it has the following option and defaults to auto.

So if it's set to auto, you can forget about bit depth for file conversion unless you want to change it.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
+1
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
Currently if you use MB's default settings for converting 24-bit files, they get converted to 16-bit files.
is that comment based on observation from older versions of MB? I recently made the change to display the bit depth and as part of that the file converter should be preserving the bit depth on feeding data into the relevant encoder

redwing

Yes, I didn't know this was already addressed at the same time. Just tested with some 24-bit files, and they work perfectly with no differences in bit comparison test. Thanks!

redwing

Two issues regarding bit depth:

- Volume analysis clears bit depth info for the tracks. Bit-depth column shows nothing for the tracks until they get rescanned.
- At that point (with unknown bit-depth) if you convert those files, they get converted to 16-bit files. Shouldn't it check the bit depth before converting?

Steven

• Administrator
the bug is fixed for the next v3.2 update
for the second point, I dont see it being any different to tags that are out of synch with the MB cache - MB doesnt attempt to resynch all tags/ properties for every file operation it does. Irrespective if the cached bit-depth is correct or not, it will still generate 16-bit file file data correctly. However as i write this i realise MB probably isnt caching the new bit-depth value in the new file so i will fix that

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_2/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:57:33 PM by Steven

redwing

Only the first issue is fixed. It still converts to 16-bit for files with unknown bit depth.

redwing