Author Topic: Improvements for Classical Music Support  (Read 45755 times)

hiccup

I agree.  And I'm not a huge fan of substituting Work/Movement in the Title field in the main panel, either, but if others are, I can live with it.

I hadn't seen that. Something could probably be said for having it that way, but it could also be a bit confusing having a field operating as some virtual tag field.
I myself would prefer doing such with an actual virtual tag.

hiccup

The tags 'year' and 'original year' are separated by being located at different tabs.
I would like it better if they were together on the same tab.
It looks like there's enough space behind 'year' on the first 'Tags' tab to do that?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The tags 'year' and 'original year' are separated by being located at different tabs.
I would like it better if they were together on the same tab.
It looks like there's enough space behind 'year' on the first 'Tags' tab to do that?

+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe rather than swapping title and work, there could be a [...] with an expanded title/work/movement editor, similar to the artist splitter panel?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

I think I would like it best if 'title', 'work', 'movement' each had their own dedicated fixed space.
I wouldn't mind to have the 'Publisher' field removed from that tab so to make space to do that.

Sofocl

I think I would like it best if 'title', 'work', 'movement' each had their own dedicated fixed space.
I wouldn't mind to have the 'Publisher' field removed from that tab so to make space to do that.
+1
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator
the way title/ work and movement is currently done is modelled on how iTunes has implemented this on the basis that they have a huge base of users who would have provided feedback about how its been implemented.
Having said that I am not opposed to changing it so title always shows but will wait and see if others comment. I would still leave it as a toggle to show work and movement (as now) so it doesnt clutter the main tags panel.
For how title is displayed in the main panel i am also ok with MB always showing title and adding a new predefined tag for how work/movement is currently displayed in title.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Trying out the new 'work/movement' feature:

I find it very inconvenient that when you activate that feature by switching from 'track title' to 'work name' in the tag editor, you don't see the title anymore.

For classical tracks, it is good practice to have it containing both the work name and the movement name. (and possible parts)
So you would e.g. have a track title:
"Dido and Aeneas, Z. 626: Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" (Aeneas, Dido)"
From that title, you can dissect the work, the movement and/or the part.

But as soon you switch the tag panel to work/movement mode, you lose the view on that useful information.
I feel that the track title should remain in view.
Just switch back to track title.  All the work and movement info is still saved in the tags, but you have the title view.

MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

the way title/ work and movement is currently done is modelled on how iTunes has implemented this on the basis that they have a huge base of users who would have provided feedback about how its been implemented.

I don't think Apple's 'taking input from their user base serious' is something that should be taken as an example, or be considered much.
On the contrary, Apple should take a good look at what you and this community has been doing here all these years.
Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:42:19 PM by hiccup

hiccup

Just switch back to track title.  All the work and movement info is still saved in the tags, but you have the title view.

Yes you can do that, but apart from the fact that you don't have a one-glance-view of these rather relevant fields, it is also not very convenient to have to switch every-time you want to copy/paste something between these three fields.

Bee-liever

Yes you can do that, but apart from the fact that you don't have a one-glance-view of these rather relevant fields, it is also not very convenient to have to switch every-time you want to copy/paste something between these three fields.
But if your deducing those fields from the title, why do you need to visually duplicate them?

hiccup

I am not sure I understand how you mean that question, so I'll give an example:
Suppose you have a track that has the title I gave as an example a few posts back:
"Dido and Aeneas, Z. 626: Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" (Aeneas, Dido)"

I would then want to copy the part "Dido and Aeneas" and past it into 'Work', and then copy the part "Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" into 'Movement'.
That is a lot easier to do and decide on if all that information is available in one view without the need to switch back and forth.

And also note that the example I am giving here is named almost unrealistically correct.
Most titles you run into for classical music are a mess, and you'll have to do a lot of 'analyzing the title' to decide and know what to copy/paste.

I feel it would be a bad decision to not have these fields available together in one view.
Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:39:56 PM by hiccup

Bee-liever

I would then want to copy the part "Dido and Aeneas" and past it into 'Work', and then copy the part "Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" into 'Movement'.
That is a lot easier to do and decide on if all that information is available in one view without the need to switch back and forth.
Ah-ha!  Now I see we are talking about two different things.
You are talking about the tag editor panel and I was talking about main panel.
Because MB now combines 'Work, Mov: Title' into the display title if left on 'work name' in the tag editor.
As I already have my Album&Tracks view already set up to use the sub-header field to split my classical tracks into works, I don't want that combined field used.  Switching back to 'track title' currently allows that.
Having both the 'track title' and 'work name' both showing in the tag editor would be OK, but I wouldn't want to lose that current functionality.
I think psycho's suggestion of having the [...] separate panel would be the way to make this work.
Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:05:20 AM by Bee-liever

hiccup

Ah-ha!  Now I see we are talking about two different things.
You are talking about the tag editor panel and I was talking about main panel.

Yes, I was talking about the tag editor panel.
Would this change your '-1' from post #83? Or was that against having 'publisher' making space for 'title'?

Steven

• Administrator
based on what has been discussed so far i see 2 proposals:
- keep title always on display in the tag editor
- if thats done, then i think the "title" field in the main panel should always show title and not display work: movement as now
- so i would create a new display tag that represents work: title to make it a bit easier for people to use

or (my prefered):
- tag editor doesnt show title but a ... button allows editing to include title, work, movement in the one dialog
- main panel behaves as now where "title" is replaced by "work: movement" where appropriate