Author Topic: Improvements for Classical Music Support  (Read 46086 times)

Steven

• Administrator
the itunes fields are done for the next update. TXXX/Work should load ie. the loading of custom tag id's is not case sensitive.
I have added a new function $RomanNumerals(<field>) if you want to use that format for the movement number (eg. in naming templates).
For files marked as showing classicial music, the "Title" field will display as <Work>: $RomanNumerals(<Movement>). <Movement Name>
Title is only adjusted for display - if you use Title in naming templates, nothing is changed.
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing files where musicbee is installed

the other tag editor changes recently discussed are in progress but not included

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For files marked as showing classicial music, the "Title" field will display as <Work>: $RomanNumerals(<Movement>). <Movement Name>

How are files marked as showing classical?  It that what switching title to work does?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

How are files marked as showing classical?  It that what switching title to work does?

I don't understand what is being said here. Switching title to work? Wot?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
How are files marked as showing classical?  It that what switching title to work does?

I don't understand what is being said here. Switching title to work? Wot?

If you're using the latest version, there's an arrow next to the title field that lets you display and edit the classical fields instead.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

If you're using the latest version, there's an arrow next to the title field that lets you display and edit the classical fields instead.

Ah, ok. I haven't updated to a version with those changes yet. I will first try it out on a test library anytime soon.

hiccup

yes

So this is similar to what iTunes will do? :
SHOWMOVEMENT — Flag to trigger showing of classical fields instead of normal title in iTunes (1 = yes)

Will this be written and saved in MusicBee's library file or in the music files themselves?

vzell

Sent one with the 2.4 equivalents.
thanks
if anyone has any ID3 v2.3 file with Involved Persons would also be appreciated
I sent one to you.
It has the IPLS tag as written by Picard by default and additionally the TXXX/IPLS tag inserted by Picard with my Musicbee Picard plugin. I'm using the latter in MusicBee right now because this is how "Involved People List" is currently configured in the MusicBee Configuration.xml

theta_wave

Is it automatically filled from <Title> or does the user have to manually fill  it out?  If it is the latter, then I'll just continue to rely on virtualtags:

Code: Works_Header
$If($Contains(<Title>,": ")="F","    —",$If($Contains(<Album>,"Civilization V")="T","• "$Split(<Title>,": ",2)" •","• "$Split(<Title>,": ",1)" •"))
Code: Works
$If($Contains(<Title>,": ")="F",—,$If($Contains(<Album>,"Civilization V")="T",$Split(<Title>,": ",2),$Split($If($IsMatch(<Title>,"(\sNo\.\d\s|\sNo\.\d[^0-9]\s)")="T",$Replace(<Title>," No."," No. "),<Title>),": ",1)))
Code: Movement
$If($Contains(<Title>,": ")="F",<Title>,$If($Contains(<Album>,"Civilization V")="T",$Split(<Title>,": ",3),$Split(<Title>,": ",2)$IsNull($Split(<Title>,": ",3),,": "$Split(<Title>,": ",3))$IsNull($Split(<Title>,": ",4),,": "$Split(<Title>,": ",4))))

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, but you could use the Additional Tagging and reporting tools plugin to quickly transfer all the info
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
Musicbrainz Picard right now writes the "Work" information into the tag "TXXX/Work" (work NOT uppercased). Can you please support this case too ?
I'm using the latter since a long time and don't want to retag my whole library.
according to the documentation on https://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/
picard is writing work to TOAL which is intended for "Original Album/ Title" according to the ID3 documentation
can anyone confirm it is using TOAL ?
I guess that means "work" wont import to MB as MB uses TXXX/Work

vzell

Musicbrainz Picard right now writes the "Work" information into the tag "TXXX/Work" (work NOT uppercased). Can you please support this case too ?
I'm using the latter since a long time and don't want to retag my whole library.
picard is writing work to TOAL which is intended for "Original Album/ Title" according to the ID3 documentation

According to the NEWS file in the source code of Picard they say it writes to TOAL.
But when I look at my picard tagged files (ID3v2) with mutagen or id3info (or with MusicBee Tag Inspector) I see it actually writes
to TXXX/Work. And I CAN confirm that when using the latest MusicBee the work information shows up fine, so it imports fine from TXXX/Work.

vzell

According to the NEWS file in the source code of Picard they say it writes to TOAL.
But when I look at my picard tagged files (ID3v2) with mutagen or id3info (or with MusicBee Tag Inspector) I see it actually writes
to TXXX/Work. And I CAN confirm that when using the latest MusicBee the work information shows up fine, so it imports fine from TXXX/Work.
But maybe you can support both cases. First try to import from TOAL (if present) and as a fallback from TXXX/Work.

hiccup

Trying out the new 'work/movement' feature:

I find it very inconvenient that when you activate that feature by switching from 'track title' to 'work name' in the tag editor, you don't see the title anymore.

For classical tracks, it is good practice to have it containing both the work name and the movement name. (and possible parts)
So you would e.g. have a track title:
"Dido and Aeneas, Z. 626: Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" (Aeneas, Dido)"
From that title, you can dissect the work, the movement and/or the part.

But as soon you switch the tag panel to work/movement mode, you lose the view on that useful information.
I feel that the track title should remain in view.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Trying out the new 'work/movement' feature:

I find it very inconvenient that when you activate that feature by switching from 'track title' to 'work name' in the tag editor, you don't see the title anymore.

For classical tracks, it is good practice to have it containing both the work name and the movement name. (and possible parts)
So you would e.g. have a track title:
"Dido and Aeneas, Z. 626: Act II, Scene II. "Behold, upon my bending spear" (Aeneas, Dido)"
From that title, you can dissect the work, the movement and/or the part.

But as soon you switch the tag panel to work/movement mode, you lose the view on that useful information.
I feel that the track title should remain in view.

I agree.  And I'm not a huge fan of substituting Work/Movement in the Title field in the main panel, either, but if others are, I can live with it.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)