Author Topic: Truncated names like "LBUM ARTI" showing up in tags (known Windows bug)  (Read 28956 times)

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I'm just starting to see issues crop up like this myself. Tag fields are being populated by the field name minus the first character. The metadata is lost. I'm not certain if this is an MB issue or a MusicBrainz Picard issue yet, but this is a bit alarming. I'm going to check some albums that haven't been touched by Picard yet and see if there are any examples there.

Edit: I checked about fifteen more albums at random and didn't see any new examples. I'm suspecting MusicBrainz Picard is actually causing the issue, a track that was digital media only (never released on a disc) had an ACOUSTID_ID tag with the value "COUSTID_ID". Since it never had a value for this tag and MB would never have written one, the bad metadata must have come from MusicBrainz.
Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:14:25 AM by CritterMan
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I use Picard all the time and have never had this issue.  I still suspect Windows or WMP.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I see no other way that specific tag could have appeared on that track to have its value incorrect in the first place. I have since disabled WMP completely, will be double-checking every edit applied by Picard, and I will post here if I see the issue occur again.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Steven

• Administrator
anyone who has this issue, could you PM me a link to the file in question

cartman005

I used to have this problem with some of my files. I have seen the Artist field get changed to ISPLAY or ISPLA. I have also seen Mood changed to OOD and Occasion changed to OCCA or CCASION. I solved it by replacing the files in question with new versions, so unfortunately I don't have any samples to provide.

It was happening to the same files repeatedly so I figured it was something wrong with the files themselves.

This was happening to me a while back so if you're seeing problems with it now, I don't think it would have anything to do with recent MusicBee changes.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Folks having this problem, what version of Windows are you using?  There is a known bug in Windows 7 related to this: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,76998.0.html
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pudding

Anyone know why is this still happening?

I had already fixed my "NSEMBLE" errors in Artist field, but today I found this "LBUM ARTIST" in Album Artist field, and I guess that its just matter of time, until another "NSEMBLE" or "LBUM ARTIST" will show up.
Sometimes it just happens, that my albums have these info in them, and I dont know what can be cause of it. This only shows up in MusicBee and I had never experienced this problem in other players...

Maybe I should note, that my Windows 7 x64 system is in Czech language, and my MusicBee player is in English (I dont wanna it to be in Czech). Also, my system locale is in Japanese.

Steven

• Administrator
If the files have unicode encoded tags, i think there is a known issue when WMP updates the files. Even if you just open WMP to play a video or another music file, it can still automatically update files.
If you are really sure you dont touch WMP, i guess you can send me a link to a zip of the file so i can have a qiuick look

Pudding

Well, I did used WMP in the past, and also AIMP4... and Im still using AIMP tag editor for mass tag editing, but I dont remember touching WMP from the time I started using MusicBee... just now I started it up and its just reading tags and adding missing files to library. Im always turning off any auto-tag/auto-sort features which can change anything without me knowing about it.

I can send you that file, but I already fixed all these errors in MusicBee Edit Interface, so Im not sure if it can help.
Here is the file:

And after restarting MusicBee while WMP is still running and scanning I dont see any errors in MusicBee tags.

edit:
link removed
Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:26:23 PM by Steven

Steven

• Administrator
The corrupted tag is TXXX/ALBUM ARTIST
(you can using the tag inspector which is opened from the tag editor)
Thats not a tag that MB writes to but can read from - MB uses TPE2 for saving album artist

Tim De Baets

This is a known bug with Windows Explorer and WMP when they write to the ID3 tag of an MP3 file. All ID3 TXXX frames existing in the file get corrupted this way. This bug has been present since Windows 7 and continues to be present in current versions of Windows 10.

I've already filed bug reports in Microsoft forums (here and here) and also more recently in the Windows 10 Feedback Hub ("Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player corrupt ID3 TXXX frames"). Unfortunately without much success so far...

Nobo-sama

Hey there,

New user here and enjoying using Musicbee but I am having a problem. Not entirely sure what actions cause it to occur, but Musicbee seems to be adding tags such as "and," "lbum arti," (and weird variations of this) and etc to a specific set of songs via the album artist tag even though the correct info is there for example, "and; Sia" or "lbum arti; supercell".

This results in a new album artist(s) being created in the left pane called "and," or "lbum arti,"" with the songs affected appearing under them, as well as where they should be normally. It is quick but annoying to fix whenever it happens as it keeps occurring randomly after I fix it. I check the files afterwards in their folders to make sure it was applied and it is until Musicbee does it again.

Edit: May have found the cause.

If anyone can shed light on this, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and patiently awaiting some insight,

Isaiah
Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:29:23 AM by Nobo-sama

Nobo-sama

That strange tag is what i just discovered before you posted!

Thanks for that thread though, now I know what it actually means.

wmiked

I have just spent the last couple of weeks grappling with this issue.  I think it is a MB problem but my particular waters are muddy and I have (until today) had WMP installed - it is now gone.  I will monitor over the coming days.

There does seem, on my empirical evidence, a greater propensity for this to occur on compilation albums or where there are multiple artists.  However it has also occurred on single artist albums.

Neither is it restricted to this particular corruption, this is just a variation on a theme of truncated, and then misplaced, phrases.

20180202:  the 'lbum Artist' phrase re-appeared on two files which were previously clean.  I have now corrected them again.

In SETTINGS for LIBRARY I had 'continously monitor ser' set on.  I have changed this to 'scan on startup'.  Will this make adifference to the corruption problem as I am assuming that the monitoring maybe a contributing factor?

I also have 'automatically sweep and organise new files' set on.  Should this be set off also for the same reason?

Thanks. :'(

3rd Feb 2018  1 new occurrence in the ALBUM ARTIST field of one album.  Now corrected.
Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:47:28 PM by wmiked

paolopuntop

I also have the defect that adds "album A" to the Album Artist tag "I use the latest version of MB and with software like tagscan the Album Artist field does not contain this string. Greetings