Author Topic: Better EQ  (Read 40120 times)

keanex

The 15 band eq and the tip from keanex have greatly improved the sound from my outdoor garden speakers. Thanks heaps guys!
I'm glad to have helped!

@Keanex:
do you have any of your own EQ settings to share? I'd really like to see how things should be set up, as most things I do is increasing basss & trebles...:)
There's no such thing as a right or wrong EQ! Every system is different and will require a bit of a different set-up. My Audio Technica Ad2000 headphones have a treble peak at 4khz that can cause them to be a bit too bright sounding while my Sennheiser HD558 might need a tad more treble. The key thing to remember is to get it to sound good for you and to not go over 0dB. If you want to be lazy and go over 0dB make sure to decrease the pre-amp by the amount you chose to go over in the sliders. I hope that makes sense.

HHM

Checked it out  + did some www research - and you're totally right, thanx! now it starts to sound really well!
The only difference with what you've suggested is to boost pre-amp parameter after this kind of "negative" equlisation to compensate weaker signal.

If anyone wants to check it out on their own, here's one of the coolest ets i've  found (for 10-band eq, it goes from bass to trebles):

"-8, -5, -2, -4, -5, -6, -4, -2, 0, -3, then just boost the overall gain at the left to make up the difference"

Only thing I've changed was giving some more bass. Pre-amp set to +6.

Of course keanex is right and it all depends on your audio system/headphones, but just give it a try and see the difference:)

keanex

Checked it out  + did some www research - and you're totally right, thanx! now it starts to sound really well!
The only difference with what you've suggested is to boost pre-amp parameter after this kind of "negative" equlisation to compensate weaker signal.

If anyone wants to check it out on their own, here's one of the coolest ets i've  found (for 10-band eq, it goes from bass to trebles):

"-8, -5, -2, -4, -5, -6, -4, -2, 0, -3, then just boost the overall gain at the left to make up the difference"

Only thing I've changed was giving some more bass. Pre-amp set to +6.

Of course keanex is right and it all depends on your audio system/headphones, but just give it a try and see the difference:)
The problem with raising the pre-amp to compensate for the lowered EQ frequencies is that the "0" is now into clipping range. The point of lowering EQ is only to lower frequencies that are too high/forward to begin with, so essentially you could have simply left the "-8" at 0 and raised everything else and left the pre-amp the same. That's going to cause clipping, which is why you EQ down in the first place. With you're settings as they are, you're essentially looking at this:

"-2, +1, +4, +2, +1, 0, +2, +4, +6, +3"

That is up to 6dB over, which is more than enough to cause audible clipping.

As for your settings, as I said it's impossible to use yours on another person's system with any hope of it sounding good unless their set-up sounds similar to yours. If I set my headphones like that then the mids/highs would be far too pushy and bright.

Remember no frequency should ever be over 0dB, that's when clipping (distortion) occurs.

test-_-bot

this has the equaliser changes:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

feedback welcome!

Need one more mod, please.  When reducing presets to 0db or less, each slider must currently be moved independently.  It would be sweet if we could select a checkbox to move all sliders down simultaneously, taking the guesswork from estimating where each should be in order to preserve the original configuration, but at a lower pre-out.