Author Topic: "Sort by" feature in column browser and thumbnail browser  (Read 1019 times)

kuchhai

It will be great if the "sort by" function used in the main panel - in which I can use the <artistsort> to arrange the artists but display them with <artist> - can be implemented in the column browser and thumbnail browser.

The three foreign artists' names begin with D, F and Ka respectively so they appear before Ki.

Previously I used quodlibet, and the browser automatically sorts by <artistsort> and it was extremely useful. Currently in Musicbee artists with non-Latin characters appear after all the Latin characters, and appears to be sorted by character stroke which is confusing.

Hopeful that this can be implemented since the main panel has this feature with no issues. :) (I currently sort by albumartistsort - artistsort in the main panel.)

Many many thanks in advance! *crosses fingers*

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

The Incredible Boom Boom

Sorry to hijack, but you display by one criterion, but sort by another in the main panel? How?

I'm using the Artist view, grouping by <Sort Artist> and First Letter. I'd like to keep displaying, for example, 絢香, but be able to type "Ayaka" to jump to her.

I'll even +1 this if someone can help me figure it out! Lol

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This particular request was implemented by the custom sorting feature. (This thread is 4 years old.)

Does that not work the way you describe? I have, for instance, Isao Tomita sorted by letter but displayed in the native script. (Not at my computer or I'd copy it)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.4)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

The Incredible Boom Boom

This is what it currently looks like. My understanding of the original post is that I can continue displaying the Japanese characters, but get her to sort under "A?"
Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:07:16 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What do you have in the sorting tab?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.4)

The Incredible Boom Boom

What do you have in the sorting tab?

Code
album artist: 絢香
sort as: 絢香 (not using, so grayed out)

artist: 絢香
sort as: 絢香

I might not be able to achieve what I want, because, like I said, I (have to) group by <Sort Artist> as my Main Panel view. I can't group by <Artist> (will split up albums all over the place) or <Album Artist> (would move multiple album artist albums to a separate panel)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But what happens if you put the latin script artist name in sort artist?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.4)

The Incredible Boom Boom

If I put "Ayaka" under the artist "sort as," it displays and sorts as "Ayaka."

Steven

• Administrator
Just display Album Artist instead of Sort Album Artist and enable custom sorting where you assign the Sort Album Artist tag as appropriate