Author Topic: stuttering constantly  (Read 5882 times)

alonectorch

I don't know if it's just me, but about half of the songs I have stutter constantly on MB specifically, and I don't know what I can try and do to get rid of it. I've ticked "Increase Buffer Size", and moved the slider to 30 seconds, too.

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
This is most likely a resource issue. This occurs when another application is hogging your computer's resources. Assuming you are using Windows:

1) Open the task manager.

2) Locate the process "MusicBee.exe" and right-click it.

3) Hover over "Set Priority" and click "High". Realtime may also be needed if your system is very busy with other applications.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, your hard drive may be being used heavily by another application. If you are downloading a lot or copying a lot of files, MB may not be getting much opportunity to read the hard drive.

Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

ybnrmalatall

• heyoo~
I would keep the buffer at 5, 6 or something, 10 max.
I think I figured this out, I even switched from musicbee for a little while because of this, I couldn't get through a single song without it stuttering at least once.
But now I've made it through like 3 and no stutter has occurred!

Uncheck the "use 32 bit output".
Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:22:11 PM by ybnrmalatall

gl0ryus

I've been getting this issue more and more lately. I'm not OP, but playback will stutter and stop after maybe 20-30 seconds. If I try to pause or change tracks while it stutters I'm given a "The sound output device has locked up and playback cannot continue. You will need to restart MusicBee." error.

I'll set the process affinity to high and try that.

EDIT: Setting process affinity to high didn't fix it, but the song skipped to the next song pretty quickly.
Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:48:01 AM by gl0ryus

ybnrmalatall

• heyoo~
I've been getting this issue more and more lately. I'm not OP, but playback will stutter and stop after maybe 20-30 seconds. If I try to pause or change tracks while it stutters I'm given a "The sound output device has locked up and playback cannot continue. You will need to restart MusicBee." error.

I'll set the process affinity to high and try that.

EDIT: Setting process affinity to high didn't fix it, but the song skipped to the next song pretty quickly.
Quick question, what is your audio brand? Like, who supplies the drivers?
Also, are you on Windows 10?

gl0ryus

I upped my buffer to 30 seconds and it seems to be gone. Before at 30 second buffer and normal process affinity I would stutter with the "output sound device error."

I'm using my Creative sound card for my speakers and mother board audio (realtek) for my headphones. It happens on both. Win 10 x64

The only thing that would annoy me is having to setting the process affinity every time. Is there a "target" command like -high i can add to my shortcut?

EDIT: its happened again :( but its likely hood of happening seems to be a lot lower.
EDIT 2:happened 3 times in 1 hour
Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:32:53 AM by gl0ryus

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Reinstall/update your audio drivers to start. Update MB to the latest version if you haven't already.

Are you using any effects on your audio devices like an EQ or something? If you open the properties of each audio device, open the enhancements tab, and check disable all enhancements, does that resolve the issue?

Another possibility, if you are using ASIO or WASAPI, does DirectSound resolve the issue? Personally, I've got one DAC that stutters with WASAPI and another that stutters with ASIO, but both work fine with DirectSound or the other exclusive option.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

gl0ryus

So I moved my FLAC library off of my NAS and on to my Desktop. Since then have not had one problem with stuttering. I remember seeing in the other thread that the BASS plugin(?) was creating a lot of requests for the current playing file. I hope the developer reconsiders his stance.

phred

• Global Moderator
I would appear to me that is the issue is resolved simply by moving your tracks from a NAS to a local drive, then you have a network bottleneck which should be investigated.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

gl0ryus

I stream my movies from the same NAS. Really don't think thats the issue.

Matara Sami

I'll add my solution for those who may come to read this thread.
I had the same problem and it was definitely a MB problem as the drivers and system were all fine.

Surfing around to find what may cause the problem I realized that it could be a priority issue.
So I edited file MusicBeeSettings.ini  which can be found in MB library folder (or whatever it is called, not in the program folder).
I've changed a parameter <SystemEncodingPriority>2 to 3 and then to 4.
And the stuttering was gone!