Author Topic: Re-Locate missing files for whole albums / multi files  (Read 16238 times)

CheshireKat

So, I very dumbly used an external tagger to rename/reorganize my music (I had inconsistent file name patterns that annoyed me and made it hard to match multiple tracks while tagging), not thinking about MusicBee not recognizing the songs anymore. This was awhile ago and I hadn't wanted to deal with it. But since about half my music is now declared "missing", I've finally decided to sort it out so I can listen to music. I spent a couple hours yesterday mindlessly going one-one-by one, locating each file. Fortunately, most were simply renamed and not moved, so the correct folder opened, and I could just select the track. But it's quite daunting to do each one, so I Googled and found this thread.
I patched my MusicBee and used the new Locate missing files function, and it worked great! THANK YOU! There doesn't seem to be any adverse effects for me; nearly all my playlists are auto anyway, and none of the tags had been modified, only file names and, in some cases, locations, so that probably made it easier.
It appears that the play/skip counts and date added remained the same for me. I don't know if that mentioned update was implemented already, or what, but I'm glad.

Edit: after running it several more times (I'm going through by genre), there are some tracks that, for whatever reason, aren't being matched/located. I've no idea why, since the majority of these so far were in the same folder as before the file renames, and the Locate screen opens that folder and I can select the correct track. I don't mind this so much, though, since probably 95% or more are correctly located, so there's a heck of a lot less for me to do manually. Still, it's curious.
Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:06:49 PM by CheshireKat

tpkyteroo

What I found really useful, is the ability to do a browse through folders and files to find the track that went missing.  However, I see that ability in MB.  That would really help here when files get moved to locations that MB can't guess at.

alec.tron

Heya,
If you use Tools -> Locate Missing Files (with a selection of missing files), the GUI shows 'browse' next to each track....?
Even with the old ways - if you just double click a missing file - it will ask 'Do you want to locate the missing file ?' which then opens a file browser for you to point to a specific file....

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant though....
c.
Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:46:00 AM by alec.tron

alec.tron

Could it be mass-relocate & playlist consistency broke slightly with the 3.2 update or behaves differently as well ?

What used to work / happen:
- if I rename or move folders/files on disc
- then start MB to let it scan all files and notice the missing files
- then use 'Locate Missing Files'
- point to new location and MB usually found the matches via either Metadata match, or by filename in case that hasn't changed
- after relocate, all playlists the files from the old location were in were pointing to the new files
- the 'double entry' in the inbox would be gone (not even sure if automatically or after a delete from inbox action...)

What I am seeing now:
... all the same until:
- after relocate - it now does not show the playlists in neither the playlists in the playlist field anymore, nor are they shown correctly under Search... -> Locate In Playlist ->  [which states:] "No Playlists".  and after a bit the Auto-Playlists will show up, but never the static playlists these now relocated files do correctly live in still and double checking the playlist itself - the same files in the new location are where they are meant to be in the playlists from what I cans ee...
- the 'double entry' in the inbox is now still around after pointing MB to the new location. And this is persistent even after 'Remove From Inbox' by hand on the duplicates in Inbox.

For the not showing up in the Search... -> Locate In Playlist -> part, I've run a complete rescan, which I thought might help, but that didn't fix it, so I am still seeing these odd conflicting bits of information in MB:

Hope this makes sense.
If you have any idea for either of the 2 issues - double up in Inbox after Locate Missing Files, and/or the wrongly displayed playlist info post relocate, please let me know.

Churs.
c.

Steven

• Administrator
I am unable to reproduce any issues and i havent touched the code since v3.1

- after relocate - it now does not show the playlists in neither the playlists in the playlist field anymore, nor are they shown correctly under Search... -> Locate In Playlist ->  [which states:] "No Playlists".  and after a bit the Auto-Playlists will show up, but never the static playlists these now relocated files do correctly live in still and double checking the playlist itself - the same files in the new location are where they are meant to be in the playlists from what I cans ee...
For this, I suggest you try deleting MusicBeeLibrary.pidx in the root music folder in case its got corrupted

alec.tron

Hah, thanks for the reminder ;)
I occasionally checked if the (in) 'Playlist' column has been repopulated the days after posting this (to no avail and it stuck to only having added the correct playlist for 1 out of the 11 album tracks...) yet, checking now again, these are now again stating the correct playlist for all 11 tracks.
Guess my amount of playlists is the crux here and the reason it takes multiple days to repopulate the playlist field correctly....

So, since 'Rescan All Files' does nothing for the (in) 'Playlist' column/info consistency apparently (as I've had it run multiple times between ~ 15.12. to 20.12 without the playlist field getting populated) - is there anything I can do to force re-scan all playlists/file relationships to re-populate the (in) 'Playlist' column with the latest...?
Or is the only trigger here deleting  MusicBeeLibrary.pidx if one wants the playlist column to display the latest and greatest / correct info...?

Cheers.
c.

arielreyes001

Hello all,

I recently moved some files, others were renamed, and very few had the tags changed because I had the wrong album info. I didn't realize at the time that MB would not automatically be able to "match" files that changed within a playlist. I realize the ones that have different tags won't be matched, but none of the files are being matched and located. 99% of them have the same files size, and same artist and album but when I click on "Start Auto-Match" nothing happens. The first time it took a short while to look through all the files, but after that the search seems to last a few seconds but nothing is matched. In some cases, the file is in the same location as the original but the file name changed to include a featured artist but it does not find it.

I tried one the suggestion to delete the file "MusicBeeLibrary.pidx" but that doesn't seem to make a difference. A new one is recreated very quickly but it doesn't help. Nothing is found. Any suggestions?