Author Topic: iTunes xml export - exclude playlists and/or playlist-folders  (Read 3318 times)

alec.tron

alec.tron

I'm wrapping this up now and should be able to pass it on soon. Would be good to test it on someone elses' MusicBee itunes xml that is to be consumed in either Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox now - for me this works for all 3 for a few dozen hierarchical folders & hundreds of playlists...
So if anyone's keen to test this soon, sing out - best PM me your email and we can go from there, also the more of the above you use yourself and can test in, the better.
Cheers.
c.

PhillJ

Hi,

I'm another DJ who would love to move away from iTunes bloatware, I already use MusicBee to edit and "sanitise" mp3 files before importing them into iTunes, but would love to be able to just use MusicBee with it's simpler interface and ease of use, I use Trcktor for DJing and tried the itunes xml export a while ago with some issues, sounds like things have since moved on, would you say MusicBee is at a stage where it can replace iTunes for organising playlists for use with Traktor? Can MB import my existing iTunes library and playlists safely? including smart playlists? (I also have several years worth currently in iTunes). Finally is there a guide to doing the above?

Many Thanks in advance,

Phill.

alec.tron

Hey Phil,
since I have a library with mostly flac files, iTunes was never an option for me.
So I can't comment on how good the migration tools are or if itunes smart playlists will work. There's a fair bit of info re importing & reusing iTunes files:
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Importing

But, MusicBee has been very stable & the best organizational tool for playlist organization I have ever found. I'd suggest to play around with it first off to get the hang, and test the Traktor integrations, as there are some caveats - most notably, organizational folders (from MB) do not transfer out of the box. But, I have written a small python tool wrapped in an .exe that reformats the xml and gets you your MB folder for Rekordbox, Serato & Traktor. If/when you're at that stage and want that, sing out and I'd pass it on.
Churs.
c.

PhillJ

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right, I'll have a play and get a feel for how it all works.

Phill.