Author Topic: Changes for version 3.1  (Read 35571 times)

hiccup

I believe it would be more consistent if this entry had a checkbox instead of a combobox.
It would also solve the problem of the text not fitting.

redwing

I had suggested adding "Arrange Panels" menu under View menu when releasing v3.0, but now it's no longer listed there. If you have removed it for some reason, please consider re-adding it as clicking on panel layout button won't be obvious to every new user. Yes, I know it's listed under left menu icon, but showing it under View menu will help most users when they need it.

Steven

• Administrator
I believe it would be more consistent if this entry had a checkbox instead of a combobox.
It would also solve the problem of the text not fitting.
yes i agree and its done for the next update

I had suggested adding "Arrange Panels" menu under View menu when releasing v3.0, but now it's no longer listed there. If you have removed it for some reason, please consider re-adding it as clicking on panel layout button won't be obvious to every new user. Yes, I know it's listed under left menu icon, but showing it under View menu will help most users when they need it.
i will do this - not sure why i removed it

redwing

You might want to consider making left navigator shown again in MB's default layout like pre-v3 versions.

Whenever I encounter v3's default layout from a fresh installation (for some tests), I get a bit lost when trying to playing tracks (without creating a library). I can imagine getting the left navigator displayed (just to locate and play some tracks) won't be an easy and obvious task for many new users. Some may get frustrated and lost, when they just want to test MB, before trying to find the option. But once they get accustomed to using MB, hiding left sidebar won't be an issue at all.
I assume you mean the user would locate the files in the Computer section of the left navigator? Even when the left navigator was always displayed in earlier versions there was still users who didnt realise they could navigate the folder structure.

Then show left navigator with all nodes expanded so that drives and folders will be visible.

I would classify iTunes and Groove as simple to use players. What is it they do differently that makes them easy to use for casual playback?
For all you can play directly from windows explorer or from the main menu to open a file or folder.
And with MB you have an additional option of dragging the files from windows explorer into the playing tracks panel.
So there are plenty of ways to do it, most of which i believe are common with other players

Don't compare it with apps that have huge user base and various kinds of resources available.
As MB is relatively unknown to most users, they have no confidence on what this app will do to their precious music files and tags. Probably lots of users will just close down the importing window MB shows at first run simply because they don't know what the scanning will do to their music files (moving? coping? updating files? modifying tags?). An assuring message would surely help on the importing window at its first run.
Then the user gets left just with several tabs. Won't be obvious how to navigate to their music folders, nor is obvious how to show such a navigator or even such a thing exists.

Steven

• Administrator
Then show left navigator with all nodes expanded so that drives and folders will be visible.
yes i agree with that

redwing

I noticed library filter manager only shows three rows even though there's some room below it. At first I thought it was broken because it didn't show all of my filters.

redwing

One of frequently asked questions is why importing from different drives does not move files to the auto-organized library. How about showing a warning message that files are not being moved on the status bar whenever the user imports files from different drives with no additional drive mapping set? The message should include short instructions as well.

hiccup

- The text +6dB is no longer aligned beneath it's marker.
- '0dB' doesn't have a marker that stands out a bit from the other markers
- The 'i' icon is very (too) close to the text.
- this particular icon doesn't turn out very well in all skins.
       perhaps change it like how it's done in the 'Arrange Panels' panel.
       or make a skinning image element available for it

hiccup

The volume on/off icon in the taskbar player indicates the current status exactly reversed compared to how it's done everywhere else in MB.

hiccup

Borders for Controls.InputControl seem a bit broken, or at the least inconsistent.

E.g. in the Preferences > Library panel, the fields for 'map base file paths in exported playlists' will use the 'Disabled' bdr irrespective if it's activated or not.

But in the Sorting/Grouping panel, the 'ignore words:' field will use the 'Default' bdr irrespective if it's activated or not.

hiccup

Borders for Controls.InputControl seem a bit broken, or at the least inconsistent.

E.g. in the Preferences > Library panel, the fields for 'map base file paths in exported playlists' will use the 'Disabled' bdr irrespective if it's activated or not.

But in the Sorting/Grouping panel, the 'ignore words:' field will use the 'Default' bdr irrespective if it's activated or not.

Bump

Additionally, here in the same panel the presentation of inactive elements is inconsistent.

same here:

Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:28:34 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
although this might sound trivial to change, i am not going to at this point for v3.1 as it risks messing things up

hiccup

I understand. Would you like a reminder in a while after 3.1 has settled, or did you already jot this down somewhere?

Steven

• Administrator