Author Topic: Changes for version 3.1  (Read 35574 times)

hiccup

And another one,

When the tag frame for 'Album Artist' is (deliberately) empty, in 'tracks' view, MusicBee seems to auto-fill that column with the contents of the 'Artist' tag.
That seems weird to me, I feel it should display empty if the tag is empty.
Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:04:52 PM by hiccup

boroda

that's what 'album artist' tag is intended for. actually there are 2 'album artist' tags in mb api: 1 is autofilled by artist if its empty and another doesn't. may its worth to add another 'album artist' tag to UI.

rudolph

I see some improvements like smoother scrolling and quicker switching between menus, also Edit window looks a little bit different.

Actually I don't care much about this, I would like to see some new tagging tools like allmusic.com , etc...

I have 130 GB of music, and it's hard to keep it all organized.

hiccup

that's what 'album artist' tag is intended for. actually there are 2 'album artist' tags in mb api: 1 is autofilled by artist if its empty and another doesn't. may its worth to add another 'album artist' tag to UI.

If it is useful for some circumstances to have MB auto-filling Album Artist when the tag is actually empty, I will let this rest.
But personally I don't like such behavior. I prefer having things showing as they are.
Or at least there could perhaps be some indicator that MB 'overruled' an actually empty field?

hiccup

You can hide the panel header for e.g. the 'artist picture' panel by using the context menu of that header.
But obviously you cannot make it re-appear in the same manner.
I would expect that to be possible by using > Panels Configuration > artist picture settings, but it says 'No Settings' there.
It might be good to have this 'hide/show header' option available there?

kamizon

You can hide the panel header for e.g. the 'artist picture' panel by using the context menu of that header.
But obviously you cannot make it re-appear in the same manner.
I would expect that to be possible by using > Panels Configuration > artist picture settings, but it says 'No Settings' there.
It might be good to have this 'hide/show header' option available there?

I just updated with a slightest chance of getting VST and playlists fixed, couldn't get that done however I noticed if you right click on the place where the header was, it gives you the exact same options as the header context menu. Show/Hide is available in both cases.

hiccup

I noticed if you right click on the place where the header was, it gives you the exact same options as the header context menu. Show/Hide is available in both cases.

Thanks, I must have missed that (by a pixel) when I tried it earlier.
Still I think it would be good if it was also available in the settings panel.

kamizon

Thanks, I must have missed that (by a pixel) when I tried it earlier.
Still I think it would be good if it was also available in the settings panel.

Agreed. I think clicking on the show/hide header for playlist explorer under the playlist tab does not work until the app is restarted but that's not worrying me, it's that the library subsets (inbox, audiobooks etc) are removed from the playlist explorer. Now just to get to the inbox I'll have to change to the navigator panel first and with the headers hidden it's even more difficult.

Steven

• Administrator
I think clicking on the show/hide header for playlist explorer under the playlist tab does not work until the app is restarted but that's not worrying me, it's that the library subsets (inbox, audiobooks etc) are removed from the playlist explorer. Now just to get to the inbox I'll have to change to the navigator panel first and with the headers hidden it's even more difficult.
working fine here
to edit a playlist, right click/ Edit Playlist and then you can drag files from any library location
or alternatively open the left sidebar and use playlists from there

kamizon

Then it must be me only. It's a good thought, layout looks far better without those headers. Thanks for the help steven.

seibah

Library updates:
flac (1.3.1 -> 1.3.2)
OptimFROG (1.2.1.0 -> 1.6.0.0 (5100))
oggenc2 (2.85 -> 2.88)
wavpack (4.50.0 0 -> 5.1.0)

BASS updates:
ape (2.4.1.0 -> 2.4.2)
mpc (2.4.1.0 -> 2.4.1.2)
spx (2.4.1.0 -> 2.4.3.2)
tta (2.4.0.0 -> 2.4.0.2)
cd (2.4.5.0 -> 2.4.6)
dsd (2.4.0.0 -> 2.4.1)
enc (2.4.9.1 -> 2.4.13)
flac (2.4.2.0 -> 2.4.3)
hls (0.0.0.2 -> 0.0.0.6)
midi (2.4.9.0 -> 2.4.11)
mix (2.4.7.2 -> 2.4.8 )
opus (2.4.1.8 -> 2.4.1.9)
wma (2.4.4.9 -> 2.4.5.1)
wv (2.4.3.1 -> 2.4.6)
fx (2.4.8.0 -> 2.4.11.1)

Link to 7z for updated libs. oggenc2 is the SSE3 Lancer edition.
Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:54:48 AM by psychoadept

redwing

You might want to consider making left navigator shown again in MB's default layout like pre-v3 versions.

Whenever I encounter v3's default layout from a fresh installation (for some tests), I get a bit lost when trying to playing tracks (without creating a library). I can imagine getting the left navigator displayed (just to locate and play some tracks) won't be an easy and obvious task for many new users. Some may get frustrated and lost, when they just want to test MB, before trying to find the option. But once they get accustomed to using MB, hiding left sidebar won't be an issue at all.

Steven

• Administrator
You might want to consider making left navigator shown again in MB's default layout like pre-v3 versions.

Whenever I encounter v3's default layout from a fresh installation (for some tests), I get a bit lost when trying to playing tracks (without creating a library). I can imagine getting the left navigator displayed (just to locate and play some tracks) won't be an easy and obvious task for many new users. Some may get frustrated and lost, when they just want to test MB, before trying to find the option. But once they get accustomed to using MB, hiding left sidebar won't be an issue at all.
I assume you mean the user would locate the files in the Computer section of the left navigator? Even when the left navigator was always displayed in earlier versions there was still users who didnt realise they could navigate the folder structure.

I would classify iTunes and Groove as simple to use players. What is it they do differently that makes them easy to use for casual playback?
For all you can play directly from windows explorer or from the main menu to open a file or folder.
And with MB you have an additional option of dragging the files from windows explorer into the playing tracks panel.
So there are plenty of ways to do it, most of which i believe are common with other players

hiccup

I was checking the (rather important) warning for users setting auto-organising the library without perhaps fully understanding the consequences.

When you check that checkbox, you do not get to see the warning message.
The 'organise library files' window immediately pops-up, also hiding the little exclamation mark that appeared behind it, where you might read the warning/explanatory message at hover-over.
You can then click 'proceed' and 'save' without having been confronted or having read the warning message at all.

It would probably be better to make it so that at checking that checkbox, that warning text always gets in view first and needs to be confirmed.

hiccup

Not that it makes much sense to drag the panel smaller with tag editor opened, but still, dragging the icons over the tabs gets a bit ugly: