Author Topic: Lyrics vs Lyrics?  (Read 5255 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
From the drop down in the search bar I can select "Lyrics" as a field to search and it returns tracks that have the text I'm search for if the lyrics are embedded in the music file.

If I try to do the same thing but using a Custom Search from the drop down in the search bar there is no "Lyrics" option. I'd like to be able to search within my lyrics using the Custom Search and wonder why "Lyrics" isn't available. Can it please be added, or is there a reason why it can't?

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

StefanIvanovic

+1

I didn't realise that "Lyrics?" as field for search won't search within embedded lyrics for some reason.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I didn't realise that "Lyrics?" as field for search won't search within embedded lyrics for some reason.

There's a difference between "Lyrics" and "Lyrics?"  The latter is a special field which tells you whether or not a track has lyrics.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

StefanIvanovic

Good to know that. Then just add Lyrics tag field in custom search and for auto-playlist as someone suggested yesterday and problem solved  :)

phred

• Global Moderator
Good to know that. Then just add Lyrics tag field in custom search and for auto-playlist as someone suggested yesterday and problem solved  :)
The problem -can't- be solved as is since "Lyrics" is not a tag field in custom search. That's the reason for this Wishlist request as I stated in the initial post.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

StefanIvanovic

Of course it can't be fixed without a patch, my previous post was intended to Steven actually, I didn't put it well, sorry for confusion.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven - Before I take the (semi)drastic step of converting the lyrics of 14,000+ tracks from external to internal, can you tell me if there's any likelihood of you adding "Lyrics" to the available fields in the Custom Search options?

Thanks

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
i can promise i will look at it but i suspect there is potentially going to be an issue because of the way i have implemented lyrics, so if thats the only reason i recommend you hold off

phred

• Global Moderator
i can promise i will look at it but i suspect there is potentially going to be an issue because of the way i have implemented lyrics, so if thats the only reason i recommend you hold off
Thanks for the info Steven. I'll hold off for a while.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
it should be ok to support this. I see no reason you need to embed the lyrics for it to work eg. you can already do a text search from the search box when the Lyrics field is included and it should work

phred

• Global Moderator
you can already do a text search from the search box when the Lyrics field is included and it should work
Yes, that's true. But I don't want to have "Lyrics" always enabled in the standard search because it adds too many irrelevant hits when I'm searching for titles or album names. Therefore a 'custom search' is preferable for my use.

So you will be adding "Lyrics" to the custom search field options at some point, correct?

Thanks!
Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:46:08 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
my comment was in regards to there being no need to embed the lyrics due to any search functionality being requested

phred

• Global Moderator
my comment was in regards to there being no need to embed the lyrics due to any search functionality being requested
Now I'm confused. I understand that there's no need to embed lyrics so that I can search using the "Lyrics" field in -standard- search box. But what I'm looking for is for the "Lyrics" field to be added to the -Custom- search options. (And while you're at it, to the available fields in the Auto-Playlist options also.)

Sorry for being dumber than a rock on this one, but I just don't understand if the option will be added.

Thanks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Steven

• Administrator
it should be ok to support this. I see no reason you need to embed the lyrics for it to work eg. you can already do a text search from the search box when the Lyrics field is included and it should work
It should be ok to support your request to include lyrics text in a custom search.
I cant see any reason for you to embed the lyrics for your request to work. The text search example is to explain why you dont need to embed the lyrics but just disregard comment as it seems to be causing confusing and is not important.

Steven

• Administrator
this is done for v3.1 but not sure when i will make it available