Author Topic: I cannot save equalizer custom settings.....  (Read 2806 times)

redbird7700

I have MusicBee on two different Win 10 Machines.

Machine A will not let me save a custom equalizer setting and it will not let me enable MusicBee in Win Explorer and context menus or it will not let me enable file types I want it to recognize.
MusicBee tells me I do not have permission and I need to run it with Administrator Permissions.

OK, no problem, until I try to open Machine A as Administrator.  MusicBee will not open for me as Administrator.  
It will only open the normal non Administrator open.

This limits me to not being able to save custom settings and configurations to MusicBee.

As for Machine B:  I am able to save settings easily by opening MusicBee with Administrator privileges.
So I know it is achievable.

Machine A is using V3.0.5995

What causes this issue and can it be fixed, so Machine A can have saved custom settings?

Thank You!

Steven

• Administrator
the run MB as an administrator, right click on MusicBee.exe and then "Run As Administator"

however i do agree i really should do something about this ie. i will change the location for the equalisers to the AppData folder.
I will do that for v3.1

redbird7700

Hello Steven and thanks for the response,

You see, this is the largest part of the problem I have been experiencing with Machine A and opening MusicBee as Administrator.

If I try to open MusicBee as Administrator, (right-click on MusicBee.exe file,) MusicBee simply will not open.
It is really kind of a strange occurrence for me.
I honestly have never experienced an application that would not open when using the right-click, enabling Administrator.

However, I have been thinking back to when MusicBee was re-installed a few months back with a clean install because of other issues.
The re-install cleared up those particular issues, but maybe my mistake/or not, when I re-installed, I run the installer as Administrator.

There are a couple of other programs on Machine A that I have used the right-click for Administrator, and they open as they should, but
they were not installed with Administrator permissions.

Just thinking here, would that possibly cause the right-click to not work in MusicBee, therefore not opening?
If so, should I uninstall and reinstall over once again?

Also, if you do change the location for the equalizers to the AppData folder, what/how will that change things for us on the users end?

Thanks again!

boroda

redbird7700, as a temporary solution you can try to use portable mb installed to some writable folder (e.g. desktop). and portable mb has no disadvantages. though you will have to copy/rename %appdata%\musicbee folder to <musicbee folder>\appdata. 

redbird7700

Boroda74,

Thanks for the information.

Since I have not used the portable version before, am I to understand, no administrative privileges are needed to save custom
configurations and equalizer settings?

Is the portable version a full robust program with most of the customizing that the regular version offers, or a very skinned down
version?

I certainly will consider this option if it turns out from your info that it allows enough customizing to keep me happy and it is stable.

Thanks so much for your responses!

phred

• Global Moderator
As long as you don't install the portable version in a Windows System folder, no admin privileges are needed/required. If you have more than one drive/partition, install the portable in something other than C:\. If you only have one partition, install it in a newly created directory such as C:\MusicBee.

The portable version is -exactly- the same as the 'installer' version except that you can install it where ever you wish.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here