Author Topic: 24 Bit Flac Question  (Read 5057 times)

dragonhunter281

Greetings All,

I was doing a bit experimentation with a song I got off of HDTracks that is a 24 Bit/96 .wav file. I was playing around with the .flac with this file and something isn't adding up right. Using FLAC Frontend 2.0, I converted the file and was able to encode/decode the file and I got the same size of 110MB. The FLAC copy shows up in musicbee as a 24/96 file like it should under properties.

Wav = 110MB
FLAC = 66.5MB
Decoded size= 110

Now when I take the original  wav file and try to use the format converter within musicbee to send to flac, I think its downgrading it to 16 Bit /96 because my resulting sizes are as follows. The properties say 96 khz under the sample rate but where it used to say 24 bit, it says nothing now.

Wav= 110
FLAC = 28.6
Decoded size= 72.6

Any ideas on whats going on. I have tried quite a bit of different command options and the downsample option in the Format Converter is unchecked so I don't think it should be doing this unless I have overlooked something. Any help is appreciated. :)

FLAC Version is 1.30 and Musicbee is 2.4.5270

redwing

I don't think it has anything to do with MB. Simply flac might not support stdin for some kind of WAV file format. In that case, you will need to do a command-line conversion or use another tool that supports stdin for that format.

vincent kars

If the OP used the frontend without additional parameters like --bps=24 and gets a 24/96 FLAC from a 24/96 WAV but not if he uses MB, I'm afraid MB misses the bit depth somewhere.

Check the FLAC settings in Preferences > File converters

dragonhunter281

Thanks for the responses. I guess it doesn't matter since I was able to get it to work with frontend. The -bps=24 didn't work but I am still trying to figure it out. I will update if I can get it to encode correctly.

picur

I have a similar problem repacking 24Bit/92k flac files. The resulting files are no longer 24 Bit/96kHz (16Bit I guess). Doing the same at the command line: everything works fine. I use MB 2.5.5803 and flac.exe 1.3.1.

I have also tested the portable version (MB 3.0.5067 and flac.exe 1.3.1). Same result.

The format converter options in both MB versions are unchanged.

Any ideas solving this are welcome!  ;)