Author Topic: Specific MP3 audio files are just noise  (Read 2004 times)

Nokiaman

For some reason only WMP can play them properly. Not even VLC. Oddity for sure. It's old game-rip I had for ages.
Here's sample file
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zl0a5k1oo56z686/45_-_Last_Chance.zip

EDIT: It should be mentioned that the ones I uploaded to Google Play Music (and redownloaded just now) are fine so I'm not sure what is up with the original files or what Google did to "fix" them. Broken header or something? IDK. Either way WMP ignores it or something.
Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:04:07 PM by Nokiaman

phred

• Global Moderator
This is certainly not a MusicBee related bug. Therefore I've moved it to the 'General' topic.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
My reasoning for thinking so is that the file(s) in question are not playing in other players. You mentioned VLC. I tried it in MPC. I'm thinking file corruption. Which wouldn't have anything to do with MB being the cause.

Let's see what Steven or some of the other forum members think.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Nokiaman

The files still have some hashes as they did before. I don't think they are corrupted if they work perfectly in WMP12

Steven

• Administrator
it appears to be an 8-bit music file. I have had this issue posted before - this is the response i got from the BASS developer:
"The problem is that the MP3 data has a plain PCM WAVE header (WAVE_FORMAT_PCM) in front of it, so BASS treats it as a PCM WAVE file. Do you know how the file was created? My guess is that an ACM codec was used but an incorrect WAVE header was written (it should be WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3)."

Nokiaman

I think that's how the game's files are. They have .wav extension, but are actually MP3 files in disguise.