Author Topic: [FIXED] File explorer process doesn't terminate after closing it  (Read 3466 times)

theta_wave

MB 3.0.6108

This issue has been bugging me for some time.  Essentially, a file explorer process is opened under svchost.exe whenever I select a file and right click > Search ... > Locate in Windows Explorer.  I usually access this via hotkey.  Normally, this explorer.exe process under svchost.exe is automatically terminated after a certain amount of time has passed since closing the associated explorer window.  The problem is that sometimes when I open multiple processes via MB, these processes don't close after closing their windows.  It seems that there's a threshold on the number of system calls and when it is passed, the explorer.exe processes remain taking a not so insignificant amount of memory.  Is this an upstream .NET issue?

Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:00:44 PM by ssri

Steven

• Administrator
its not something musicbee is controlling and i would expect the .NET garbage collector to be handling that. i will have a look but not promising anything

Steven

• Administrator
in my case, the windows processes immediately terminate in the Process tab of the task manager. In the Details tab, it usually takes around 30 seconds before it closes on that tab. However i see you are using windows 7.
MusicBee is certainly doing everything on its side to ensure nothing is left open so i dont think i will be able to help with this.

theta_wave

Fair enough, Steven.  I thought it was more of a .NET issue going into this, so I wasn't expecting MB to be involved in this at all.  Still, thanks for taking a look for me.

Sofocl

My post on this topic:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16546.msg96542

Change Log - AIMP

AIMP v3.60, build 1492 (24.04.2015)
Common: the "jump to file" function does not create a new process of Windows Explorer now.
http://www.aimp.ru/index.php?do=changelog&os=windows&s=1492&f=1492
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator
i dont know how the AIMP guys acheived always opening the same instance and i cant find anything from googling.
@ssri,
i have found another approach. So could you try this and see if it works better:

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

Sofocl

Steven

• Administrator
it will reuse the same window only if the folder is the same. If a file is in a different folder, it still opens another instance.

theta_wave

I have to echo Sofocl's reply.  The 6112 build performs exactly like what I had in mind: opening through a local explorer process rather than one through svchost.exe.  Thanks a lot Steven! :)

Sofocl

For me it also opens everything in a single process. That's what I needed.
Now there is a "pause" at 21 second to open the another file, can it be reduced?

Sofocl

Sofocl

I am basically satisfied with how it works now. Just for the record, apparently different algorithms when using menu and hot keys.