Author Topic: Loosing comments in the "Comment" column  (Read 2728 times)

movebetter

MB 3 WIN 7 pro

I keep loosing some of my comments in the "Comment" column.

any ideas/suggestions?

theta_wave

If they're getting truncated, try increasing the max row span number under: Preferences > Layout (1) > Right Sidebar > Customize Layout

Aevaris

And if ssri's advice doesn't help, can you post a picture? Picture is worth a thousand words.

movebetter

ssri thanks for your idea but i use 3 or 4 letter, numeric text and some just disappear. the entire entry is missing/blank. not all entries in the column just some.

movebetter

here are some pics, different comments keep disappearing for no reason i can determine,

http://imgbox.com/TczLmUuA

http://imgbox.com/EimWwup6

movebetter

Can anyone help. i use these comments to chose tracks for playlists for a weekly dance event i host. i keep having some disappear for no known reason. no pattern or reason i can determine.

theta_wave

Can anyone help. i use these comments to chose tracks for playlists for a weekly dance event i host. i keep having some disappear for no known reason. no pattern or reason i can determine.
The order you have those pics presented here makes it appear that new comments were added to previously blank comment fields, it doesn't appear to show a problem unless you mistakenly placed them in reverse order.

Is MB crashing sometime after you saved any comments but before you successfully exited the program?  If so, MB uses a backup database of the last successfully exited session, so any changes saved from the current session is not saved in the database.  Also, verify the comments are still there or missing with a 3rd party program like mp3tag.  If the crash happened but the comments are still there, as seen in mp3tag, you can either rescan your files in MB or, if you selected MB to automonitor that folder, MB should be able to update the tags automatically when restarting the program (or saving the tag in mp3tag (CTRL+S) when the file is in a automonitored directory should trigger MB to update that folder and its contents).

So far, you have been vague on what you were doing in your MB session when you first noticed this issue, so it is difficult for others to understand what could be causing the problem, if there is any.
Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:57:57 AM by ssri

movebetter

ok, maybe i was not clear enough. sometimes for no reason some of my comments are deleted. there is no crash going on. just when i click on the playlist some are missing. i need these codes to help make new playlists. the picture shows the missing ones. does that help? no crash going on.

theta_wave

Can you verify whether or not your id3 comment fields are filled via MB's tag inspector, mp3tag or any other tagging software prior to (if possible) and after MB shows them as empty.  Do you have any settings from Advance Search and Repair checked off (that means they are going to continue running in the background).  Do you use any other music players or tagging software outside of or running alongside MB? 

The only time I've seen MB delete tags (the entire tag field) is after converting some mp3 files to flac to replace them with proper flacs (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19255.msg115341).  Setting the maximum number of encoding threads to "1" under Preferences > Tools seems to be a proper workaround.  Curious enough, I ran into an album this morning that I did not convert where half of the files had no tags at all (as seen in mp3tag) but it still showed up in MB fully tagged (weird).

boroda

mb uses its database for displaying tags by default, not the tags in files. so, as ssri said the 1st thing that must be checked is if tags in files are still correct, ie if its a database or tags problem.

movebetter

i just now did analyze volume and it looks like all the ones that were checked lost their comments .

theta_wave

i just now did analyze volume and it looks like all the ones that were checked lost their comments .
I'm sorry, but I just tried to analyze the volume of one song (mp3) and I did not see MB erasing its comments:

https://youtu.be/QmOXiD84eRs

I also verified the comments post-volume analysis using MB's tag editor, its tag inspector and a third party tag editor (mp3tag).  Also, "restoring original volume" did not erase the song's comment tag.