Author Topic: Private stream broadcasts  (Read 3307 times)

Will Pittenger

Any chance we could get a feature where MusicBee broadcasts a stream for other MusicBee instances on the same local network to play?  I don't care if the stream goes out over the Internet.  I'd just like to go from one PC to another and find the same music playing.
Will Pittenger

boroda

as far as i remember Steven had this idea, mb even had some ui elements in prefs for this (but no functionality). but later Steven just has written Subsonic plugin for mb. its not so convenient as native support, but much easier for Steven.

Will Pittenger

Due to DRM issues, I can see a requirement that the stream be encrypted with a passcode of some form.
Will Pittenger

boroda

find subsonic site, i'm not using subsonic for long time, but i can recall that subsonic has login/password protection.

Will Pittenger

Which machine does that get installed in?  The instructions http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3620.0 mentioned a drive.  But I don't know how the connection is made.
Will Pittenger

boroda

if i has understood you question correctly, then subsonic server can be installed on any pc, which has file access (not ftp access) to you music files.

Will Pittenger

Sort of.  What isn't clear is how I access the server.  Do I treat that as just another stream?
Will Pittenger

boroda

in subsonic *client*  you must enter server ip address and port. i want to notice that once you successfully set up client/server, it will be very easy to use the plugin.

edit: no, not another stream. you will see 'subsonic' node in the left navigator panel in mb.

Will Pittenger

Oh.  The module is both client and server?  The instructions were unclear on that.  I thought it was either the client or server, not both.
Will Pittenger

boroda

no, plugin is only client. download server from subsonic site. also you will be able to listen to music in any web browser, but mb is of course better.

Will Pittenger

The server is stand alone?  So i'd lose Auto-DJ?  That'd be a deal breaker if Subsonic doesn't have something similar.
Will Pittenger

boroda

sever is java app which is run as separate process on separate pc (its possible to run it on the same pc, but its senseless). not sure about auto-dj, maybe its possible to source auto-dj from subsonic node, i don't remember. subsonic node will look in mb somewhat like a mobile device connected to mb with ability to play music from it. don't remember, but this 'device' probably will be read-only, ie you must setup monitored folders on the server, not in mb.