Author Topic: How to play module files  (Read 14251 times)

Alsweider

I have a collection of Module/Tracker music files with extensions like .mod, .rad, .s3m, .sc68, .it and .xm. Many of them are playable with VLC player, but I can't get them to work in MB. Is there a plugin or decoder for this?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
There is the Nullsoft Module Decoder input plugin
There is a thread here where ssri and I tried different versions to get it to work.

For me, I ended up using
basszxtune.dll from un4seen.com
and
in_mod-2.2.10b29.dll (ModPlug) from home.scarlet.be/ruben.castelein/MM/MM-Plugins.htm
for it too work for me
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

theta_wave

Unfortunately, it never worked out for me.  Furthermore, in_mod_xxx.dll from the mediamonkey website crashes the latest version of MB soon after MB starts, probably after MB loads all of its plugins.  All in all, this is strange, as bass.dll (according to its website) should natively play mod's, s3m's, xm's, mtm's, it's, etc.  The bassxtune(?) plays chip modules, which is different from sample-based tracker modules.

Steven

• Administrator
while its true that BASS has native support for these files, i would still need to implement the functionality. I havent done so to date simply because i didnt think these particular file formats were used much and because implementing the functionality appears to be non-trivial. Re: chiptune support, i have previously asked if anyone was interested and had no responses

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
in_mod_xxx.dll from the mediamonkey website crashes the latest version of MB soon after MB starts

It only ever works using the specific dll, in_mod-2.2.10b29.dll, otherwise you get various faults; crashing, bass_error, etc, etc
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

theta_wave

while its true that BASS has native support for these files, i would still need to implement the functionality. I havent done so to date simply because i didnt think these particular file formats were used much and because implementing the functionality appears to be non-trivial. Re: chiptune support, i have previously asked if anyone was interested and had no responses
Well count me in as someone who wished native support for tracker modules was implemented.  Sad to hear that it is non-trivial to do so though.

Alsweider

Thanks for all the replies. Of course it's rather a minority who knows about chiptunes/sid/demo/mod/tracker music. Youtube does not support these formats as well. Anyway, I like them.  

There is the Nullsoft Module Decoder input plugin
There is a thread here where ssri and I tried different versions to get it to work.

For me, I ended up using
basszxtune.dll from un4seen.com
and
in_mod-2.2.10b29.dll (ModPlug) from home.scarlet.be/ruben.castelein/MM/MM-Plugins.htm
for it too work for me

Sounds interesting, but I could not get it to work. The ModPlug link is dead, I found this installer which includes the in_modplug.dll and then I downloaded the bassmod.dll from the Bassmod audio library on un4seen.com. Now I have put them in the MusicBee/Plugins folder. This leads to MB-Crash when I try to play a file. Could you explain where to put the files and what else do I need? Where can I get the Nullsoft Module Decoder?

Steven

• Administrator
actually it turns out implementing basic support for mod files is very easy so i have also enabled it for v3.
BASS supports these formats: mo3/it/ xm/s3m/ mtm/ mod/ umx
Support will be included in the next patch update. You will need the updated configuration file or manually add:
Code
  <FileExtension Value=".mo3" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".it" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".xm" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".s3m" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".mtm" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".mod" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />
  <FileExtension Value=".umx" TagFormats="0" Codec="0" />

theta_wave

actually it turns out implementing basic support for mod files is very easy so i have also enabled it for v3.
This is awesome.  Thanks Steven!  I look forward to trying out the new build.

Steven

• Administrator
i'm just having a look at chiptune support. If anyone has a file
Code
*.$b;*.$m;*.ahx;*.as0;*.asc;*.ay;*.ayc;*.bin;*.cc3;*.chi;*.cop;*.d;*.dmm;*.dsq;*.dst;*.esv;*.fdi;*.ftc;*.gam;*.gamplus;*.gbs;*.gtr;*.gym;*.hes;*.hrm;*.hrp;*.lzs;*.m;*.msp;*.mtc;*.nsf;*.nsfe;*.p;*.pcd;*.psc;*.psg;*.psm;*.pt1;*.pt2;*.pt3;*.s;*.sap;*.scl;*.sid;*.spc;*.sqd;*.sqt;*.st1;*.st3;*.stc;*.stp;*.str;*.szx;*.td0;*.tf0;*.tfc;*.tfd;*.tfe;*.tlz;*.tlzp;*.trd;*.trs;*.ts;*.vgm;*.vtx;*.ym;
could you PM me a link to a zip of a couple ?

Steven

• Administrator

theta_wave

I don't normally play chiptunes from old console cartridges, but here's a few I found from: https://ocremix.org/chiptunes

Plenty of formats under the format column correspond to the extensions you listed.

For example:
Akumajo Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (HES32.0KB): https://ocremix.org/chip/5658

EDIT:

Also, thanks again Steven for the build 6086.  I'm happy to report that the main tracker module formats are playing fine. :)

EDIT 2:

Tracker modules appears to sync fine (transcoding them on the fly to mp3) to my virtual device.
Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:29:33 AM by ssri

Steven

• Administrator
support for chiptunes:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

you will also need basszxtune.dll:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zouyyv7fvb7skvm/basszxtune.zip

unzip both and replace the existing files where musicbee is installed.
basszxtune.dll should be copied to the folder where musicbee.exe is installed

i tested this on various formats. The SID and STC files i could play without problem. The HES file only played the starting section. I couldnt get the STR file to play, although it might be that particular fine as it seemed extremely small
Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:56:18 PM by Steven

Alsweider

Thanks again, I got a problem with the latest patched version. Importing a collection of ~65000 chiptune files of different formats (which were present in the library folder all the time) to the MB library leads to a programme crash after ~7000 files. Maybe missing supported file-extension definitions in the Configuration.xml?