Author Topic: trouble adding multiple genres  (Read 2440 times)

mrdezzz

im trying to update the genres for each track, so that the genres reflect that track, and not the artist in general.

in preferences, under tags (2) there is an option "retrieve artist genres only"
when this is selected, all tracks that i update, contain the exact same set of genres.

example:
song1 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song2 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song3 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song4 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song5 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song6 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal

some artist will have tracks on an album, that is a different genre, than the rest of the album. such as an acoustic cover, or just a different style of music.
because of this, it doesn't make sense to tag every song with the same genres.

when "retrieve artist genres only" is unselected, tracks that i update, only contain 1 genre, which is not enough.
i was hoping that unselecting this option would give each track its own genre description, specific to that track alone.

example:
song1 - Metalcore; Metal; Thrash Metal; Death Metal; Heavy Metal
song2 - Metalcore; Metal; Death Metal; Groove Metal
song3 - Metal; Thrash Metal; Speed Metal
song4 - Metal; Death Metal
song5 - Blues; Hard Rock
song6 - Metal; Progressive; Electronic; Dubstep

I use to use MediaMonkey, and i know that there was a plugin that was capable of doing this.
is there a way to do this is MusicBee?

theta_wave

In Mediamonkey, I used their autoplaylists to query specific genres.  Likewise, it is the same with Musicbee.  Under MB, I always left "retrieve artist genres only" unchecked.  If I have an album that is mostly Electronica but has a few tracks whose genres are "Electronica; Chiptune," only said tracks will show up under an autoplaylist querying genres containing "Chiptune".  I haven't had issues spot editing tags with MB.  Am I missing something here?

mrdezzz

I too would like to use the autoplaylist feature is MB, but i can't get the tracks to tag with the correct genres automatically.

i did some more testing, with a larger selection of music, as before i was only testing on a single album.
it seems that with "retrieve artist genres only" unchecked, some albums to update with more than just a single genre (but not all)
but when they do, every track in that album still gets tagged with the same few genres. as if it was tagging then with artist genres only.

are you updating your tracks automatically from last.fm?

marlonob

I'm guessing that's because last.fm (the source of the genre tag) doesn't have more than one tag that qualifies as genre. You can tag your song manually or add a tag to the song in last.fm directly, then auto tag again. Also check your “genre filter” to add some tags that may be in last.fm, but MB doesn't recognize as genres.